PDA

View Full Version : Piscat Sat.

amateurcatch
08-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I got a late start, compounded by TERRIBLE traffic and missing the bridge TWICE (for freighters) I didn't get on the water til early afternoon. Lots of folks were out, got the lines in for a good 15 minutes before I headed back to the dock to let the Tstorm pass, an hour and a half later I was back out. I was using chunk mackerel and tried it on a drift near the CG station, near the rocks on the other side there, on a couple different bumps off the coast, and a few shoreline spots. Nada. Not a SINGLE bite, nothing. Got off the water at 8pm after a very discouraging day.

Maybe it's just me!!!

tmillerzzz
08-17-2008, 06:35 PM
I got OTW 5AM Sunday. Picked up one fish on the fly at the sub nets, One out on the back of the shoals on rubber and 2 bite offs from Blues out there also. Was done fishing by 8AM.

Saw the FLEET chasing the blues off Ft. Foster, stopped and made about 3 cast and the high tailed it to get away from the crowd. I did see a few hitting the top though....just can't fish in the crowd like that.

Dumped off my fishing buddy and Spent the day on a beach with the family.

Sunburnt the top of my head real good....got a new visor...whooops.

mumichog
08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
OTW by 6am, found a blue or two hammering right along the edge of the frontside flats - then they were gone and we didn't realize another blue in the river all day. We nabbed some breaking schoolies inside Pepperall Cove but that didn't last long. Most of what the fleet was chasing in mid-river were schools of breaking pogies, it didn't seem like most people recognized that they weren't bluefish. There may have been a blue or two chasing the pogies but they acted mostly unmolested. We snagged a couple and impatiently soaked them to no avail.

Then we went out front and looked on top for surface action - zero. We trolled up two blues off Crescent Beach area (.5 mile out).

we checked the flats on the top of tide but found them barren.

beautiful day any way you slice it.

Tmillerzzz' right about the 'fleet' - it was unjustified bedlam. Just goes to show you what the rumor of Bluefish can do. You should see what it does to Upper Naragansett Bay - an all out race to four pound blues!

tmillerzzz
08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
One thing to note: While at the beach and at the ramp I had 3 other people, all seeming to be pretty competent fisherman tell me that this is the worst year they have ever seen on the river and they have all but given up on it.

oldmill
08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
I was out there in the bedlam both Saturday and Sunday. Didn't catch much
but it was great fun to sit back and watch the circus. I've fished the Piscat for
years but never seen so many boats chasing so few fish in so little space.

The lack of consideration and common sense was really shocking. Guess I'll
have to stick to weekdays before work.....

scruffy_fish
08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I was out of little harbor yesterday @ 6 AM some really low tides. Happy my boat doesn't draw much water. Picked up a small striper for my buddies first.

Out around the mouth finding a path through the lobster bouys hooked a good fish, but lost it to in experience when he was fooling with the drag settings.

Spent the day anchored up, drifting, and trolling with not much going on, but a good show of how the better half lives.;) Didn't see much of anything on top.

Must say the main river has a lot of traffic.:eek:

tmillerzzz
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Traffic was NUTZO, took the kids down from above Eliot Boat ramp to see the tall ships. 3 Canoes and a Pontoon boat out in all that mess....(#$119)