PDA

View Full Version : Nothing But Bonito

Bob Parsons
08-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Today's mission was to focus on breaking bonito. No trolling at Hedge. No trip to Woods Hole. The 14 m. trip from Cotiut to State Beach was awesome. Almost flat calm. Boat traffic had not waked it up and the wind was light. Got to my destination bright and early to find no boats, no birds, and no sign of fish. So much for getting the early start, at least I got a good parking spot at the ramp. Headed over to Edgartown to see if anything was happening. Nope nothing there either. Back to State Beach to find a bunch of boats spread the length of the beach, all waiting, seeing nothing. About 8:15 a pod erupted off my stern aways, only one boat made it in time to get a shot. Back to the waiting game. Eventually the/a pod break at the far end of the beach. ( I could not see the fish but based on the way the boats over there suddenly shifted and clusted up.) Action stayed down there for quite awhile. So everyone worked their way in that direction. Either the pod broke up or other small pods arrived, because we started to get single splashes all over the place. This made it tough since you would have a break by your boat and by the time you turned and cast - nothing. Of course the one of the best shots I had I found a loop in the line when I went to cast. aarrrrrgh. At one point I was casting to a distance school and had another school break right under my line close to the boat. When the lure passed through this school, I saw on take a swipe and miss. Overall (except for the catching factor) I had close to five hours witing and chasing breaking fish.

RJ
08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I am Green with envy!

Thanks for the report. I hope to get to CC by the end of this week.

albacized
08-25-2008, 07:13 AM
So frustrating yet fun and exciting at the same time...;)

Wisertime
08-25-2008, 08:17 AM
New to the area and the site, so bear with me.

Left bass river on Sat, 8/22. Was my virgin voyage into Nantucket Sound (been living on the NJ shore for the past 4+ years) and had a rookie with me. Plan was to first locate the misc. shoals to the west of Bass River, L'Hommdieu (spelling?), Succonesset, and Bishops and Clerks. Well i found them and trolled them for a while with small metal spoons looking for a few small blues or even a Stripe. Nada. Decided to make the trip to Hedge Fence looking for Bonito. About 10 am now and I find the Fence. There are some boats around, but not too bad considering it was a great weather day and the last Saturday before labor day. Most boats were trolling, but slow. Could they be going for Bass/Blues? again, I am new to the area but this late in the summer, we in NJ have abondoned Stripes until October. Anyway i stuck to my plan and trolled for Bones the entire strtch of the Fencce. Marked some fish, but they were fairly deep. Not a touch. Trolled the entire fence north to south and beyond. Ziltch.

By now, i have the fever so I decide to check out Wasque. What the heck, I made it this far. Even fewer boats here and again they seem to be trolling for bass/blues. I troll Wasque for 2 hours. Nothing.

Head back northeast towards the Bass River and troll a shoal (name escapes me) with small spoons and a simming plug. Get one small blue (4 lbs) on the swimmer, then the wind kicked up. Head back to Bass river.

Lots of gas used, no Bones. Trolled a clark spoon w/a 4 oz. drail, a feather daisy chain w/ bird, two rods with misc. color feathers (red, blue). Had the water column covered from 10' down, to 5' and on top. Varied speed from 5.5 knots up to 8 knots. If the lures ran right, I varied it all.

Any suggestions? Am I doing this right? Caught many a Bonito/False in NJ with this approach, but here they seem to be a bit later arriving than I would suspected given in NJ they have had them for > 1 month now. in NJ, we would hit barneget Ridge, troll and wholla. Bonito! A few ?'s.

Are they a bit more scare up here in New England?
Am i fishing the correct areas?
Am i fishing the correct lures?
Is it still early for the Boones and False? Some posts have stated that it is still early? If so, when?

brushfly
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM
So frustrating yet fun and exciting at the same time...;)

Maybe even masochistic?

Bob Parsons
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Some of the common swimmers used when trolling for bonito are crystal minnows in the 4" size. Fast track repallas also about 4" are very effective. Personally I like to troll just up current of the rip and let the current sweep the swimmer into the deeper water. Others will stay in the deeper water. What ever floats your boat.

JimW
08-26-2008, 07:23 AM
That's great that you got into them, getting a few decent shots would make my day. Just seeing them gets me so pumped. I may get out there this week, let me know if you want to team up on a bone hunt. Looking at the forecast the next few days show North and then East winds. I'm really not familiar with the sound and wonder how that wind direction effects the water and of course the fishing. I know wen it's blowing 10 SW it's got a pretty good chop. I'd like to find 'em on top but will resort to trolling the rips, do you recommend sinkers on the 4" crystals?

Ray
08-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Bob,

To date I have not caught a Bonito when casting to breaking fish. But nearly every one I have caught has been blind casting to areas where fish have shown or you would expect them to be.

This can get old fast when tossing flies but is a great way to cover water with metals.

albacized
08-26-2008, 08:34 AM
That's great that you got into them, getting a few decent shots would make my day. Just seeing them gets me so pumped. I may get out there this week, let me know if you want to team up on a bone hunt. Looking at the forecast the next few days show North and then East winds. I'm really not familiar with the sound and wonder how that wind direction effects the water and of course the fishing. I know wen it's blowing 10 SW it's got a pretty good chop. I'd like to find 'em on top but will resort to trolling the rips, do you recommend sinkers on the 4" crystals?

When I use plugs for albies/bones, I like the sinkers the best - I've had particularly good luck using the now discontinued Yozuri TX Jr Minnow - the one that's a little over 3" long in the sinking green mac color. That's an albie slayer...

fatkenny
08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
I saw a lone fish bust in a circle around the middle lobster pot off the stone pier in woods hole at aprox. 9:12AM on sunday. It could have been 9:11AM though.

He chased a silverside around the pot in a circle.

That was the only fish I saw in 6 hours spread across saturday and sunday.