PDA

View Full Version : Bonito fustration continues

Bob Parsons
08-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Yup despite a strong effort, I have yet to hook up. Picked up a couple small bass on the way out of Waquoit. Surprising I have yet to see one of those epic jetty to jetty blitzes where the bait is thick and the fish mostly ignore your offering. STopped at Hedge Fence to see if I could pick up a bluefish. No birds were in the area. Gave up on that and headed over to MV. Either I was early or the fish were late. Nothing was happening. Boats would come, and boats would go but eventually the action turned on. Most boats were well behaved but there was one boat, three kids and two adults had a habit of drifting right into the area where the fish were breaking. One good size pod that surfaced within casting range I place the lure in an excellent spot, started reeling in, I could feel the fish brushing the line, but alas no hook up. With tomorrows winds forcased out of N/NW at 10-15, I'm not sure I'll make it there tomorrow.

capecodkid
08-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I think I saw you as I was leaving the area you were working on the Vineyard. There was a few feeding pods throughout the day. A lot of guys hooking up mid morning. We got 1 hookup = 1 9# Bone. Not as many pods as yesterday but they stayed up longer.

Rollo Tomasi
08-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Probably within casting range of you both. The early crowd was pretty well behaved. People watching the pods popping up and staying on the drift. As the morning wore on, the behavior of the crowd deteriorated. Lots of run and gun jockeys, a few cut offs, etc. Funny, there seemed to be plenty of breaking fish, but they did not stay up as long and there were few hook ups. Draw your own conclusions.....

ShaneY
08-31-2008, 10:21 AM
I made it down there thursday and friday and found fish breaking sporadically but no hookups for anyone. Up and down quick. No bass seen at waquoit either, last year they were all over the place. I will be back down next week maybe it will be better. What kind of boat were the problem guys in? There were two 20 somethings in a small whaler running all over the fish on friday.

Ken Catch
08-31-2008, 10:54 AM
To add to your pain I weighed in a 10lb 11.8oz Bonito yesterday for the Mass Saltwater Derby. It was the first one of the year for me inshore. No I didn't catch it at the Bonito Bar I ventured to the rips east of Nantucket and battled through many blues to get it.

Bob Parsons
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
That I don't feel bad about. Nantucket is like a different world for me. It takes a special kind of weather day for me to make the 1hr trip over there in my 17' boat, and I need to hear of good fishing at the bar.