PDA

View Full Version : Lack Of Commitment

SteepBank
09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok this was bothering me. The harbor is staging and I posted earlier this year that my goal was a 40 inch striper in about 5 feet of water..or something like that. Ive always been a committed angler and try to put in my time ect. the time is now and a few contacts have advised me that if put in my time now,,,I could easily have a shot at this...so tonight was a good late tide and i had everything stowed in the car..I was pretty beat from work but figured i was going to be out stalking big fish at night with the fly soI tried to stoke myself..so i pick up my 3.5 year old at the day care and he says " can we go fishing?"..I hadnt planned on this at all as i was only thinking of my fishing plans so to speak (bad daddy)..so i say sure of course...a few minutes later i was shooting power bait out into the shallows whilst he chased every duck within sight...the fish started hitting and you would have thought I was fishing tuna...he would say " daddy look at that duck" and im going "ssshhh kid did you see that hit!?" i was pulling these things through the air on the strike and we got about 5 before heading back (I let him release them all) ..well after dinner i just could not get into my car and do the real fishing...I felt old to tell the truth...did my dad ever feel like this...was this why as i got older he didnt fish at all cause i burned his ass out? but then i thought its not as much a lack of commitment as it was a excercise in joy that left me tired ...feeling the fall breezes and enevitably feeling a bit older...and you know what...that was fine by me...I can get them another night, they will still be there..

Frankie G
09-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Well put. The Judge from Hingham scores it a perfect 10.0

You aren't getting old,you are getting wise.

Nice work.

Frank

Fish Farmer
09-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Well done man, you'll never regret it.

Onshore
09-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Times like that are the best of times we all wish for.

mjc
09-24-2008, 08:28 AM
SB

Great report. You should consider that trip an investment, when you REALLY get "old" he'll be the one taking your "REALLY" tired butt out to do some fishin.;)

Mike C

captmike
09-24-2008, 08:53 AM
all fishing is real good fishing and it's always better than working!:-%

notime
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Well said and well done. However, you are getting old. You still should have gone out at night :).

Slappy
09-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Well said and well done. However, you are getting old. You still should have gone out at night :).

Well said. ;)

The trip with the kid is the one you will remember 2 years from now.

There is always tonight.

SteepBank
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM

yep that was a good one;) thats kind of what I thought too !

bronko
09-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Great post. I would think that tired "old" feeling after spending an afternoon with your son is a lot better than the pangs of guilt felt by the father who neglects his own child to catch a fish.

But once he's asleep don't forget about energy drinks!

beetlebomb
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
"But once he's asleep don't forget about energy drinks!"

By "energy drinks" do you mean BEER?

My child (and the other on the way) has me fishing less. I guess I'll have to wait till they go to college to get back to my old patterns of fishing.

brushfly
09-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a great night and nice going. 3.5 is young. Give him a another year or two and he'll be slinging right next to you. My son's now 8 and we have a nice thing going on the boat. He tosses lt.spinning with plugs and I'm in the stern with the fly rod. Here's one when he was 5. Enjoy as it all goes real fast.

mogul.. a dog
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
goes by fast is an understatement...started fishing with the boy when he was about 6...teen years hit and he discovered soccer, girls, etc..but we still got our time on the water together. He's now out of college, down at Fort Bragg with the 82d, and we still share our fly fishing adventures.

My take...fishing with the boy has been and will continue to be what life is really about...

Lckyshot
09-25-2008, 07:21 AM
My two daughters would ask to fishing when they were younger. If only they wanted to go again.......