PDA

View Full Version : canal report***

BobG
09-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I knew the place had to explode any moment. It was just time.

Had an early dinner b/c I just couldn't wait to get out the door tonight. The wind dropped, the stars were out, and it was fall on the canal.:brow Arrived to find my spot deserted. Tide ripping, but the water was clean. I was instantly rewarded with hits in spite of the screming tide. The first wave of fish were a mix of 25-27" fish, plus some low keepers. Those fish were soon displaced with a much nicer class of fish in the 30-33" range. All the fish were very aggresive, in an obvious feeding/migrating mode.
As soon as the tide showed signs of slowing, and the rips flattened out, I began taking some REAL nice fish. Within 45 minutes I took a 40", an incredibly fat 45" hen with a real small head and big belly, and then my largest of the young fall thus far, a heavy shouldered 47" fish. I real happy to announce all released very well, and each splashed water in my face with a resounding swipe of their broad tails. I hooked one more nice fish at the tail end of the tide. She ran a ton of line off a very tight drag on the last of the outgoing tide, and the hook mysteriously pulled out halfway in.
The tide died, and all that was left were schoolies, and I took that as my cue to quit.
Tough not to love the canal;)

mpjoey
09-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Good stuff Bob!
Glad to hear they are out there somewhere! Next time..get some pix!..would have liked to have seen the 47" hen!

bb1
09-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I knew the place had to explode any moment. It was just time.

Had an early dinner b/c I just couldn't wait to get out the door tonight. The wind dropped, the stars were out, and it was fall on the canal.:brow Arrived to find my spot deserted. Tide ripping, but the water was clean. I was instantly rewarded with hits in spite of the screming tide. The first wave of fish were a mix of 25-27" fish, plus some low keepers. Those fish were soon displaced with a much nicer class of fish in the 30-33" range. All the fish were very aggresive, in an obvious feeding/migrating mode.
As soon as the tide showed signs of slowing, and the rips flattened out, I began taking some REAL nice fish. Within 45 minutes I took a 40", an incredibly fat 45" hen with a real small head and big belly, and then my largest of the young fall thus far, a heavy shouldered 47" fish. I real happy to announce all released very well, and each splashed water in my face with a resounding swipe of their broad tails. I hooked one more nice fish at the tail end of the tide. She ran a ton of line off a very tight drag on the last of the outgoing tide, and the hook mysteriously pulled out halfway in.
The tide died, and all that was left were schoolies, and I took that as my cue to quit.
Tough not to love the canal;)

Congratulations on the 47" fish Bob! No scale?

Funny there are small heads along w/ BIG shoulders?

BobG
09-24-2008, 12:22 AM
bb1,

The 45" fish had a very small head, but an enormous belly. This gal was into good food all summer IMHO. The larger one had a big head, had some heavy shoulders, but a flat belly. However, she fought like hell! :brow She did not want to be caught. That's why I was so happy she was lip hooked. The instant I unhooked her, her dorsal popped up, indicating she still had a lot left in her. When I left her go, she blew out of my grip.:brow
Hopefully, she's somewhere in B-bay by now, heading south.

bb1
09-24-2008, 12:33 AM
bb1,

The 45" fish had a very small head, but an enormous belly. This gal was into good food all summer IMHO. The larger one had a big head, had some heavy shoulders, but a flat belly. However, she fought like hell! :brow She did not want to be caught. That's why I was so happy she was lip hooked. The instant I unhooked her, her dorsal popped up, indicating she still had a lot left in her. When I left her go, she blew out of my grip.:brow
Hopefully, she's somewhere in B-bay by now, heading south.

BIG bellies....maybe I should get some of those 12" slugs :brow

albacized
09-24-2008, 06:55 AM
BIG bellies....maybe I should get some of those 12" slugs :brow

There apparently are squid in the canal right now-I saw pretty good evidence to support that. Btw, nice job of catchin'...I wish I was where you were last night:-)

Ditch Jigger
09-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Stupid &^%$#@( Jeep --124-3

Onshore
09-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Nice report, Bob. Glad to see you finally into some nice fish. Persistance pays off !

edchuck
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
sick report, sounds like some slob fish, i'd like to get one someday. Gave it a shot last night around MMA area for the last 2hrs of the tide, not a bite. Definatly in the wrong spot

bdowning
09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Nice job! Time is now my enemy, but I'll be down tonite for 2-3 hrs.

-bd

Slappy
09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Definatly in the wrong spot

It isn't necessarily the wrong spot, sometimes guys like Bob slay when no one else does.

Sounds like a great night!--127-3-

hyefisherman2
09-24-2008, 07:34 PM
nice job bob! :)

sue m
09-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm jealous! Nice report Bob.

Ditch Jigger
09-25-2008, 12:03 AM
We were hoping for a repeat tonight, but it just didn't materialize. We each took one decent fish apiece--mine was in the 36" to 38" range--but the big gals either never made it or they all passed thru last evening.

That's fishing.

BobG
09-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Ditto for me. Some fish, all small.:rolleyes:

I'm betting they went straight through last night. It happens that fast.--124-3 Just to jog everyone's memory, it was this time last year, to the day, the big bass ate like hell on the same outgoing tide, in the exact same spot before going right through the canal.;)

bb1
09-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Ditto for me. Some fish, all small.:rolleyes:

I'm betting they went straight through last night. It happens that fast.--124-3 Just to jog everyone's memory, it was this time last year, to the day, the big bass ate like hell on the same outgoing tide, in the exact same spot before going right through the canal.;)

What spots that Bob....west/middle cape side? :-%

bdowning
09-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Not bad, but no monsters. Most of my action happened right at the top of the west tide. One 28", one 34", and some schoolies. once the tide started moving the action died for the most part, although I did get one in the 36-37" range. Had to leave before the best part of the tide in that spot but it sounds like it didn't improve much.

Maybe I can slip in a session tonite if work and weather cooperate....

-bd

BobG
09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I guess the whole time we were fishing, there was an EPO watching us and the guys to our right.:brow He came over and talked to us right after you left. I like seeing them out like that, and maybe that's why we don't see anyone lobstering nights these days?:brow

bdowning
09-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Really? I didn't even notice him on the way out, but I wasn't looking that hard (#$119).

-bd

bdowning
09-26-2008, 09:18 AM
was pretty much a waste of time. The west tide, already pretty fast, was set into overdrive by a strong east wind. Most of the time, you could not hit bottom unless you short casted, and that put you out of the strike zone for the most part. Even 1.5 hrs before the end of the tide, there was very little letup in current speed. I managed two schoolies, but finally just gave up.

Could have tried some back eddies elsewhere they were ripping pretty good too.

-bd

BobG
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Me too.:rolleyes:

I hit the east end at the start of the west, and was greeted by rollers and waves crashing onto the rip rap.--125-3 Once the tide turned, it was instantly 7knots, and you couldn't keep contact with the bottom with a window weight let alone a jig.:rolleyes: Hit some backwashes, and aside from a couple short hits, there wasn't much. Left there, and found Bill at a lonely UDL, and it really wasn't much different. Screaming tide, with a screaming n/e wind pushing the tide even faster. Fishing was impossible. If I put two 4oz sluggos on at the same time, I doubt I could have maintained contact with the bottom.
Tonight should be great.--125-3 20-30mph winds, with gusts possibly reaching 45mph, chance of rain, 100%. If the chance of rain is 100%, it's no longer a "chance" at that point, but a certainty I'd say.:brow

Ray
09-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Sounds kinda nutty out there right now.

Looks like I have a 100% chance of not making it down until Tuesday!

Bob Parsons
09-26-2008, 10:46 AM
I headed cape ward in 3.5 hours, maybe tomorrow morning I can find a parking spot. If I fish the surface than I don't have to carry heavy jigs.

BobG
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I headed cape ward in 3.5 hours, maybe tomorrow morning I can find a parking spot. If I fish the surface than I don't have to carry heavy jigs.

Chowder Bob,

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the breaking fish were last week's news.:( They're long gone, likely somewhere around Cuttyhunk by now. If there ever was a day to skip the canal, stay home and drink hot cocoa:-%, it might be tomorrow.:brow

Fish On
09-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Fished last night, mainland side. I haven't seen that many bikes on the canal in a while. I guess everyone had the same idea, get your fishing in before the snotty weather began.

Managed three short bass (mid-twenties) and had blues make cigars of a few live eels. Brought one blue in while fishing a 7 inch shad.