PDA

View Full Version : 10-5: South County RI rpt

bdowning
10-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Very slow in the wee hrs for me. Had one hard hit and one bluefish cutoff on rigged sluggos, that was it.

After daybreak, there were fish breaking in pods in probably a dozen different spots from Watch Hill to Quonny, at times easily within casting distance. But they were very small and very picky. I wound up with two 3 lb blues, only saw one small bass caught. Lots of bait too, but I couldn't tell what it was. The pickiness of the fish probably points to bay anchovies, but I could be wrong. Anyway these breaks went on all morning long and well into the afternoon, all small bass/blues or albies. Typical early fall birds-over-bait activity.

Didn't see much of anything going on from East Beach to 'Gansett.

-bd

JSeamans
10-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Get those fish warmed up, Bill, I'll be probably be down the 18th.

Was still catching schoolies in Falmouth as of yesterday but that's it for the Cape for me this year.

bdowning
10-07-2008, 07:12 AM
The best thing I saw was bait, lots of it. As I am primarily a Canal fisherman at night, I'd forgotten what bait looked like! Now we just need to get some bigger fish on it.

-bd

Captcastafly
10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
There were a few big blues off C'twon Breachway yesterday afternoon. Some small bass in the mix too. Nothing spectacular but it did break the bordom of a slow day.

notime
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
What kind of bait?

bdowning
10-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Well I saw peanuts and some larger bunker (but not adult). But there was other stuff mixed in that I was too far away from to identify. All the bait sighted was in daylight hours. I scanned with my headlamp, but I didn't see any bait at night in the rocky areas I normally fish.

-bd

What kind of bait?