PDA

View Full Version : Help Buying a Fly rod

JacEm
10-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Looking to buy a fly rod that could be used for Albies and trout. Any help would be great. Size, Make?

Bob Parsons
10-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Albies are a strong fish that can run over 10#. While most trout are considerably smaller. If your thinking one rod for both, you might be out gunned on one species and over gunned for the other. I use a 9 wt for Albies and a 6 wt for trout. The 6 is a bit over for the size of the trout I catch but a blast on small schoolies.

BobG
10-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Unless you're fishing for baby albies, or huge trout, I don't see how you can get one rod to handle both?
I fish an 8wt for albies (should use a 9 or 10) and a 5wt for trout. But albies are a thing of the past down my way, so the topic is moot I guess.

Onshore
10-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I agree with both Bobs. Near impossible to come up with a rod for both species that wouldn't be seriously handicapped with one or the other or both.

dudley
10-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Take a look at the Albright website
They're having a big closeout sale
You may be able to afford two rods

Perch
10-12-2008, 10:07 AM
The legendary Montauk guide Jim Hull put me onto the best albie rod made--the one-piece, 9-weight Loomis. Strong and light. Of course it's not great for plane travel, but I keep mine in my boat. Just ordered three new ones. Last week I caught a $2,000 albie. It wrapped the line around the notch in my screw-on skeg, ruining the line. I stuck my Loomis down and broke the tip (not the rod's fault, obviously). Still, I landed the albie. Because I only broke off an inch I replaced the top guide that night. But I couldn't open the plastic epoxy bottle with my fingers. So I used my teeth, breaking a back moler. Now being fitted for a gold crown. But, considering what we do to the albies, it's only fair that they occasionally do us this way.

albacized
10-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I also agree - not really a one rod deal there...The rod that goes with me cape bound for albies is not the same rod I bring to Hopkington Res for trout;)

The 9/5 weight suggestions sound about right to me as that's exactly what I use (also, I've been using an 8 wt the past couple of years for alberts).

If absolutely strapped to where you had to get one rod, get the one that could handle albies - you'll badly outgun trout on that rod (unless we're talking steelhead or some other giant trout like you see from the North West or even upstate NY)...but that would be the better alternative than the other way around, where being undergunned for albies could cost them their life (if you even can land one on a 5 or 6 wt).

RJ
10-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Average trout are caught with 2 to 5 wt rods and I wouldn't dream of attempting to catch an albie with anything less than an 8wt rod.

A 6 pound alby would destroy most trout rods in seconds.

You are just going to have to buy two rods!

jhook
10-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Your getting lots of good advice. The other thing you need to consider is while Albies and trout will require two different rods they will also require different lines and reels.

The one thing I would suggest you keep in mind the Albie fishing around here should not be the driving force to buy a rod. You will find that the Stripers and Blues will be more readily available to you and if you wanted just one rod then maybe a 7wt will hold you for the short term for both.

gseries69
10-13-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm wondering if he meant sea trout aka weakfish?