PDA

View Full Version : Winter Trip

Frog
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
One of my fishing buddies and myself want to take our sons fishing (30yrs old) in central america sometime in February. The sons are casual fishermen while we are somewhat hardcore.

We are thinking Costa RIca but anywhere the fishing is great would be fine with us. I know many of you have already done this and we are hoping for some specific recommendations reports etc.

Thanks for your help!
Frog

craigri
10-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Costa Rica is outstanding. Fished Quepos a few years ago. Big sailfish (lots), big roosters in the breakers, snook on the beaches, and Pargo that will turn your plug into sawdust. We booked through Costa Rica outdoors and had no issues.

peter mac
10-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Only 1 place for sails in central America.......Guatemala!! more there than anywhere else...........That time of year should be outstanding

Casa Vieja Lodge phone 011-502-7881-1705

Peter Mac

NMB
10-22-2008, 05:01 PM
a bit further but perhaps much more of a true bonding adventure-the amazon for peacock bass.

gseries69
10-22-2008, 05:21 PM
If you want to do a some what affordable trip try flyfishing in the Everglades around Everglades City. The snook and reds will move into the back country in large numbers. Flight, car rental ,hotel on Marco Island, etc will likely be a lot more affordable then a trip to South America.

Or maybe you've got the scratch to go crazy, then by all means Costa Rica sounds like a heck of a trip. :-%

Either way, spending time with your sons will be the highlight. I took my dad to Alaska a couple years back and will never forget the smiles on his face.

bauerman
10-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Gseries Any info on guides in the Everglades. Fly fishing?
Contacted 2 already not to quick on the reply.(#$119)

mendy
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Bill Blanton is great!

http://www.flyfishtheglades.com/

hawkroosting
10-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Been to Costa Rica three times always go to quepos. Stay at Villas Nicolas http://www.villasnicolas.com/ over looking the bay for $100 night. Great fishing and downtown you can book charters that day at the pier. Great fishing bar on the ocean side with sailfish hanging up over the entrance. Manual Antonio beach has been voted one of the 5 best beaches in the world. Great seafood and it's cheap. I'd retire there if I didn't have kids.

Capt. Mike Conley
Breakwater Charters

gseries69
10-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Gseries Any info on guides in the Everglades. Fly fishing?
Contacted 2 already not to quick on the reply.(#$119)

Bob Lemay from this site fishes out of Everglades City. We used Capt Ned Small and found him to be very knowledgable.

I've nver fished with Capt LeMay but Capt Small is a flyfishing guide.

Bill Blanton was also highly recommended when I was there but I think he is one of the better known guides and might be hard to get.