PDA

View Full Version : capsized in buzzards bay

demellow
10-26-2008, 10:12 AM
There was an article this morning in the Standard Times about a boat capsizing off of Round Hill Point. The article said all four people aboard were rescued by another fishing vessel and the boat was towed to Padanaram Harbor. These guys were very lucky because it sounds like all they suffered was some mild hypothermia. I took a walk down to Tripps this morning and sure enough there she was--a 20 foot older vintage center console with her helm showing the signs of being ripped through the water. Did anyone hear the details on how this happened?

It wasn't even a consideration for me going out on the water yesterday with those building southeast winds.

capt38
10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I had just put my boat back on the mooring after a sloppy ride outside of Westport when we heard the mayday call on the VHF. Sounded like the Triple Play came upon a capsized boat with guys in the water. He got two POB on his boat, one was on the overturned hull and one was missing. The missing guy turned up clinging to the #8 buoy. The capt. managed to get them all aboard his vessel by the time the CG had a 25' on scene. I hope these guys know how lucky they were, the water was 56 and not a lot of vessel traffic this time of year. The conditions when we were out was wind SE over 20 and good solid 4' running seas. Congrats to the capt. of the Triple Play, he definitely saved some lives out there yesterday.

Northern Spy
10-26-2008, 12:24 PM
That's scary. I was out with my daughter yesterday morning from about 7:30 - 11:00AM and once we got outside of Westport harbor there were no boats to be seen. I didn't hear anything on the VHF.

The bay was kicking up pretty good, but we did manage to chase around the birds for a couple of hours and find some nice 24-26" bass along with a few blues mixed in. The schools were really moving around and hard to keep up with. The tally for the morning was 4 bass, 2 blues, and 4 tired legs from riding the swells. Pulled the boat out of the slip, loaded her on the trailer, and dropped her off at the boatyard where she'll stay until April.