PDA

View Full Version : Montauk 11/7

JGH
11-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Terrible.

Got on water about 1:00 p.m. after wind laid down and fog lifted a bit. Almost no boats out. Waves were not too bad, though there were big rollers. Cruised from the harbor around to town and saw absolutely no signs of life. Nothing. It was eerie. Dredged with sinking lines around point with no success. Around 5:00 p.m., on the way back in, saw some birds half-heartedly diving around Shag, so we stopped. Avoided the skunk -- barely -- with a couple 2 lb. bluefish.

Is it over? :confused:

venture
11-08-2008, 07:59 AM
I would be very surprised if it were over, unless the herring have come and gone which I don't believe is the case. I think it is just a lull, and was caused by the blow dispersing the bait. We still have fish on the south shore surf of Long Island. I caught 10 bass yesterday at Moses in a high surf with a big east to west sweep. They were all shorts but still there.

Howie

Perch
11-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Bass will be there into December. The only question I have is will the big ones show up in numbers sufficient to induce me to run across the sound. I'm done crossing for schoolies. Last year the herring we no shows. There are supposed to be more of them this year, so I'm hopeful.

tom crowley
11-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I was there thurs. the wash was right up to the dunes or cliffs.Surf was a good 5 ft and the wind was out of the NE .
I was surf casting
Nothing
I did see quite a few gannets in close so there had to be bait in the water

JGH
11-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I was there thurs. the wash was right up to the dunes or cliffs.Surf was a good 5 ft and the wind was out of the NE .
I was surf casting
Nothing
I did see quite a few gannets in close so there had to be bait in the water

There were a lot of birds just hanging around on Friday, including what looked to me like gannets. I will probably give it one more shot in the next week or so, and if nothing is happening, pull the boat for the season. It was a great fall for bass, not so much for albies (just a couple good days), but no real complaints here.

JGH
11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Went out to MTK yesterday morning (Sunday, 11/16), without any real expectation of fishing in light of the howling wind forecast. And howl it did. There was not a single boat (small, large or otherwise) visible from the Point...but whitecaps as far as you could see. Rollers into the surf were huge. Some birds were swirling around and diving, but I couldn't see what they were focused on. Wind is supposed to blow hard all this week, as well.

The fat lady is clearing her throat, at least for me, I'm afraid. --124-3

Northfork
11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Walked some of the beaches on the North Fork yesterday. Completely unfishable for a fly guy. Did not see any indication of fish on my small survey.
In the afternoon drove to Shinnecock and the conditions were not much different. Did not see any birds working on either shore. Wonder what's going on to the east on the ocean side? Was hoping for one more boat trip but with the projected winds and temperatures that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Retac
11-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Was out in Montauk Saturday and Sunday. Fished the northside surf saturday afternoon with a heavy S/SW wind blowing. Water was not too rough and it was a slow pick of small bass. Didnt see any fish over 25" being caught. There were TONS of gannets just out of reach and they were lined from Shagwong all the way to Great Eastern. Could not get to them from the shore but it looked like they were feeding heavy duty. My guess is they are on macks/herring by now due to the significant numbers of them out there now.

Sunday morning was downright nasty out at the point, wind switched over night from the west and there were 9 footers rolling in. Fished right under the light and managed a nice 35.5" on a yellow buck. Saw a few other fish come in but nothing bigger. Called it quits at 9am. Again, loads of birds starting to work but were too far out of casting range.

If this wind ever decides to let up in the next week I would bet there are still plenty of bass to be caught out there by the looks of those gannets.

Good luck out there.

fmw
11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Was out in Montauk Saturday and Sunday. Fished the northside surf saturday afternoon with a heavy S/SW wind blowing. Water was not too rough and it was a slow pick of small bass. Didnt see any fish over 25" being caught. There were TONS of gannets just out of reach and they were lined from Shagwong all the way to Great Eastern. Could not get to them from the shore but it looked like they were feeding heavy duty. My guess is they are on macks/herring by now due to the significant numbers of them out there now.

Sunday morning was downright nasty out at the point, wind switched over night from the west and there were 9 footers rolling in. Fished right under the light and managed a nice 35.5" on a yellow buck. Saw a few other fish come in but nothing bigger. Called it quits at 9am. Again, loads of birds starting to work but were too far out of casting range.

If this wind ever decides to let up in the next week I would bet there are still plenty of bass to be caught out there by the looks of those gannets.

Good luck out there.

Good news for sure, but alas the weather forecast is just not too good for boating. Definitely a very poor weather November. I can remember a few years ago getting in a bunch of trips between November 10 and early Dec. At this point, will be happy to get out there 1 more time.

peteD
11-18-2008, 01:58 PM
I book the day after Thanksgiving. Its always been good. Its alway been cold, but so far I haven't been blown out. Keeping my fingers crossed this year.

Retac
11-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Good luck for sure! I will likely be out there the next day as well. Lets hope it is at least decent and the wind stays under 10 mph--126-3-

JGH
11-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Depending on what weather service you look at, the wind may finally lay down a bit for the Thanksgiving weekend.

CaptSuperfly
11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
def heading out thanksgiving weekend for the last trips of the season, then wrapping the boat. I hope those gannets mean a herring run.

browndog
11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
A couple of my friends ran out to the point this morning. Beatiful F.A.C. and no surface activity. They marked fish down deep. There were about a dozen boats trolling but they didn't see any hook ups.

CaptSuperfly
11-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I'll be in Montauk all weekend hoping to get out. Plan is to drift soft plastics or dredge big flies unless the birds show up.

Anybody else heading out?

peteD
11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
I will be there. Booked a charter on Friday, fish the beaches Thurs & Sat. morning.
I'll be hitting the East Hampton beaches.

Retac
11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
I will be out from Fri am thru Sunday. Hoping to fish hard whether it be in the boat (weather permitting) and/or from the surf....Bass will be caught!!!!--127-3-

browndog
11-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention they did see a little surface activity- 100-150 lb. bft.

JGH
11-26-2008, 07:09 PM
I was out today to bring the boat home for the season and did a quick tour of the Point. Saw no surface activity around 7:00 - 8:00 a.m. The boats jigging around the inlet seemed to be picking up some herring, which seems like a positive sign.

Wind seemed reasonable early so I took the opportunity to run the boat from MTK to the western Long Island Sound. Of course, once underway, the wind started ripping. Trip took over 5 hours of slogging.

Good luck to those giving it a go this weekend.