PDA

View Full Version : Large enclosures revisited

BobG
11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I was still wondering about those pens, and looked into it further while I was bird hunting this week.
I asked a different DCR guy the other day, and he took me up and gave me the VIP tour. Apparently this is simply a project the DCR is doing with some Federal grant $$$ supplied by the US F&W Service to monitor the growth rate of vegetation and trees. Due to an overall decline in hunting pressure, the deer and moose population is predicted to skyrocket. That being the case, they feel they need to closely monitor the situation so the deer and moose don't surpass the carrying capacity of their land. This is espacially imperative in this region since this is the beginning of the Quabbin watershed, and the DCR is in the water business.
So, they completely denuded a 2 acre test plot, then set up 2 100'100' pens. The pens are 9' tall, and have a 24" gap all around to allow all small animals in, but keep all large browsing animals such as deer and moose out. Both pens are set up in 25' grids,and have some real fancy trail cameras monitoring them 24/7.
Their plan is to monitor this research area over a 5 year period to determine how much impact large browsing animals such as deer and moose have on the area and impact the water table of the region.

Bob Parsons
11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Bob, glad the mystery is solved. I wonder if there is web access to those cameras?

BobG
11-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks Bob, glad the mystery is solved. I wonder if there is web access to those cameras?

Good question. They're just real expensive 'game trail' cameras like you see in all the good hunting catalogs. I'm sure to see the DCR guys this week, and I'll ask.

Gadabout Guinea
11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Told ya!

:brow