PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead - Salmon River, Pulaski, N.Y. - Reports, Tips, Pics and Articles

RandyJones
11-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Steelhead Season 11/10 - 11/14
-
As the water temp. drop's, look for all of our holding Steelhead to drop into the deep slow water for the balance of the winter. We still have lot's of fish in a transitional stage that are in the normal transitional holding area's.
-
Monday
We hit fish in 3 out of 6 spots, 1/2 doz. approx. played with. Learned a ton of new and exciting spots to return too. Where to park, how to access, the hole within the hole, current breaks (exactly where the fish hold), etc.. Pretty normal day for me. Is becoming self sufficient on this river (Presentation, rigging and habitat) your primary goal along with catching some trophy Steelhead and BIG browns?
-
Tues.
My guest's fished off the driftboat on the main river (S.R.) with limited success. We had a MAJOR presence of fish in every spot we fished, but with VERY limited result's by my clients, unfortunately. Habitat, rigging and most importantly, presentation were covered thoroughly thru out the entire day and we succeeded in increasing my guest's awareness of all of the opportunities available to them and also how to work at becoming self sufficient. As always, this info. will last them (as well as yourselves) a lifetime of future fishing enjoyment. Ye-Haa!
-
Wed.
My guest's from Tues. joined me again today for another incredible fishing experience. At times we had a dozen 2-4 lb. Browns within a 10 by 10 foot area of the water. Sighted over 75 - 85 Browns over the course of the day with not another sole around. LOADED!! Incredible opportunity ALL day.
I hope you all have the chance to some day experience this truly magnificent fishery! Today we felt as though we were in Alaska, and NOT around one of the most popular fishing area's in the country! The fish we played with and landed were WAY to many to try to keep track off. Don't ya just hate when THAT happens? :)
ALL of these fish are just waiting here for YOUR, perfectly cast bait or fly. :)
-
I have some good Steelhead articles below if your a new viewer.
-
I hope all of my complementary past, present and future reports, tips, articles, pictures and ramblings entertains and keeps you safe while helping you in your Steelhead quest!
Sharing this free info. with you has and always will be my personal pleasure.
As always, my (Our) prayers and hopes go out for a safe stay and return home for all of our service men and women who are fighting over sea's and who also visit my site on a regular basis.
Thanks also to all of you who have used my guide services in the past, present and to anyone who stops by here and spends their valuable internet fishing time here.
Best Fish's,
Randy
-
Steelhead Season 11/3 - 10/7

Monday:
I had 2 anglers from the Netherlands. 4 anglers in their group flew 1,000's of miles to fish here for the week. They were not disappointed with the fishing today. They had been playing with none to 3-4 per day so far on their trip but today, they went into the teen's for numbers of fish. Over a dozen Steelhead in an approx. 6 hour period. Wow!! By days end they had a rock solid understanding of habitat, rigging and presentation. Seeing more boats on the water and a few more anglers than last week. It's always nice to see all the anglers out enjoying themselves. Helping the local economy!
I saw numerous fish being played with from one end of the river to the other. Nice! Look's like we may see a repeat of last years amazing fishing. Last year was the best since the early 90's! I'd make plan's to get up sometime this year with the quality of fishing Im seeing. All presentation tec. are working, all with different success rates. The most popular presentation tec. Im seeing is running egg sack's off a spinning rod with a float. All color's of bags are producing.
-
Tues.
Off
-
Wed.
Dozen Chromer's played with!
-
Thurs.
Another approx. Dozen Steelies played with!
-
Friday
16 Steelhead played with!
-
Sat. - Sunday
Scheduled days off
-
Please see the below fishing report's and fishing tips. It may help you on your next trip up here.
-
-
Steelhead Season Official Opener 10/27 - 10/31
FYI - Steelhead are in the Transitional holding and normal holding water, including the HEAT. Look for the Browns to be in the same habitat but also add in some gravel with lil current for the rest of the month. Look for more steelhead entering and running the river. Fish top to bottom of river. All normal flies are working. Want to increase your catch rate over night? Simple - 80% of all this, maybe more is presentation, presentation, presentation :)
-
Monday:
Browns and more browns 3-4lb. average, nice looking Coho's.
To many fish played with and landed to be able to count and
keep track of. Dont ya just hate it when THAT happens? :)
-
Tues.
Steelhead and more. In 2 hours one angler played with 2,
and the other was 1 for 4
-

Wed.
About a dozen (maybe a couple more?) chromers with 2
very experienced steel anglers. 4 for 4 on spots, ye-haa,
its hammer time! We found them in every spot we fished.
All week we fished a number of different spots and there might
have been only 1 or 2 places where we did not find any players.
And in those couple of spot's we didnt even fish them
for more than 20 or so minutes. We found Trout in all area's of
the river. From Transitional Holding to Holding. Shallow, deep,
rocky, gravel, slow water, fast water. The one thing in common
for all of our fish were "current breaks."
-
Thurs. - 3 spots, hit'm in all! Ye-haa! Brand new Steelhead
fisherman today. They made me proud to be their guide by
working hard to achieve that perfect 100% drift. They played
with 5-6 Steelies on their day. Those 5 or 6 never would have
come had they not achieved most of our common goal's. To run a
consistent, 100% drift, every drift, every spot, all day.
Preparing - helping them to become self-sufficient, so they wont
need me anymore.
-
Friday:
Over a dozen steelies! :)
-
An email I sent to a client a few days ago:
Hi Pete,
I had 2 guys out today who have never fished the river before.
They used fly rods all day and played with over a dozen Steelhead. Ye-haa! (Biggest - 14 lb's!)
This season is off to a great start. It has started to remind me a lil of last years amazing season! (To soon to tell)
All week, my guest's played with approx. 6 to over a dozen chromers, per day, which are reeeel good numbers. (the 6 came on a day where they only fished for approx. 2 hours and these were brand new Salmon River Steelhead anglers to boot! :)
The average angler would be thrilled to play with just 1 or 2 steelhead.
I took my guest's for Brown trout last week on the S.R. and we SAW, yes SAW over 30 Browns. (3-4 lb. average) Also, good numbers of reeeeeeeel good shape Coho's and some old crusty Kings that we did not cast at. We did not see another angler ALL day, just a LOT of fun Browns. Reminded us of being out in the wilderness in Alaska :)
Today, as well as most others this week, we did not have anyone above, below or directly across from us fishing.
Very VERY few anglers or boats out presently. Of course, it's also late mid-week and the season is young.
Thanks!
Randy
-
-
Salmon Steelhead Season 10/20 - 10/24
Still a few good looking Salmon around. Lot's of old ones.
Trout top to bottom of the river.
Brown's making their way to their spawning habitat.
All Trout eating Salmon egg's (and the usual)
Most angler's are having to work for any trout that they find, but not all. :)
We have been playing with ALL species of fish that call the Salmon River home.
Water temp's dropping :)
Best of luck!
Randy
-
Photo's complement's of my client, Karl A. Mueller, III (All fish released for you, your friends and or your children's future fishing pleasure!)
(Photo at http://www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports)
A BIG male King Salmon. Nice underwater head shot. Dont know if Ive ever seen one of these before. Unique view!
-
Best Fish's,
Randy Jones
For many more tips, articles, pictures and reports, please see http://www.yankeeangler.com -Fishing Reports.