PDA

View Full Version : Yucatan

vardon
01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
The wife and I are headed down to the Yucatan in two weeks for some DIY fly fishing. We are renting a car and going to spend most of our time between Tulum and Xcalak. I would love to rent a kayak or two in Cancun and take them. Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it. Also, is it worth the time and drive to head over to Campeche or the tip of the penninsula (ie: holbox?). Thanks.

surfingfireman
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
They do rent kayaks in the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve but not sure how the price compares to Cancun or how liberal they are with how long you can use them...

Benzie Rover
01-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Vardon,

In regards to the Sian Kaan, they will NOT let you take kayaks into the biosphere... I was turned around at the gate and told that I had to rent them from either the visitor center or from another outfitter down in teh park, but that I could not bring in one from outside with out a specific letter of special permission from the head of Sian Kaan Parks in Cancun... and with out that letter from some dude there was no way there were letting me in with mine (I even tried to pay him an extra $20 and still no go!?!?, guess the visitor center is paying him better, lol) Anyway, that was the rule in early 2008. In fall 08 I came back but brought a blow up kayak and just kept it in the truck until I got past the gate... live and learn.

Also, be aware that they change the rules down there as they see fit on any given day, so all or none of this may apply and there of course may be an entirely new set of 'rules' depending on who it at the gate that day... it is just how things are down there, period. I even went up to the sign of allowable and disallowable activities at the enterance gate where it shows a dude kayaking with no red X thru it and I said in my broken spanish 'see, it's cool, you can kayakismo' and he just shook his head, said 'NO, you need letter from this dude in Cancun'... so anyway, I am sure that letter is next to impossible to obtain, if it even exists. I tried to make some contact with the Parks division prior to my last trip and recieved about 4 re-directions froms dudes saying 'isn't me, you need so and so', so I just dropped the search and snuck in my own.

anyway, that's the 411...

good luck

Jim Royston
01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Vardon, let me suggest that you try not to be a ........ wiseguy and make up spanish as you go along. It infuriates mexicans. Show a little class and behave nice.
As far as going between Tulum and Xcalak, there ain't nothing between those two places but low growth jungle.

Jacquestrappe
01-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Not sure what your DIY options are at Holbox. I fished there with guide outfit for 4 days a year ago. We were there in a bit early for the big tarpon but had lots of great fishing for baby tarpon and some decent snook. That said, we ran in pangas about 40 minutes every morning to get to the back bays/estuaries that held the baby tarpon. Probably no the best DIY area a lot of fun if you wanted to hire a guide and the town is fun too.

I'm headed to Tulum in a few weeks as well and plan on fishing Boca Paila. While I am hiring a guide, I'm told that you can DIY in that area around the mouth. Not sure about kayaking in further but might be worth looking into. I think its around 20-30 minutes from Tulum.

RC

widdoes
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
There is some DIY available at the Boca Paila bridge, but it isn't easy. You can get onto the "Mushroom" flat (my name, inland- west of bridge) which is about the only sand flat in the entire lagoon system, but you've got to wade/swim through armpit-deep water to get to it- and there are crocs- small ones:eek:. And be very careful of mud/muck, you can get stuck hard!
It is easier to fish the Boca (ocean side, east of bridge) but you are mostly going for snook, jacks and cuda there, although the permit do work that shoreline.
MOST IMPORTANT- You need a Mexican license AND a Sian Kaan license to DIY in the biosphere. If you are fishing with a guide, then you only need the SK license, but DIY anywhere in MX requires a license. If fishing w/ a guide, they will usually "handle" the SK license. The MX license is avilable from ConaPesca in San Diego and takes about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if you can get it on the ground (in MX).
Very Cool aerial photos of the entire coast here: http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/060-t.html "Shroom" flat is big one NW of bridge.
Good luck, be smart. :-%
-WJ

pschwart00
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Did anyone catch the Spanish Fly a week and a half ago. He was fishing down that way and drifting crab pieces on a jig in the tidal current right near a bridge...caught like 4 permit doing it. (not sight casting) Same place?

widdoes
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes, Hose-B Wejebe (sorry Jose, old joke from when I worked construction in LA and we had 2 guys named Jose, so we had Jose and Hose-B) was fishing in "the Boca" (mouth) which you can see really clearly on the aerial photo. There is a path out to the North side of the Boca from the bridge, but they surely arrived by boat. You can cross the Boca to get to the south side in order to fish the deep mangrove bank on the south- here Snooky, Snooky!
Did you see the color of that water?! Man, they must have had some unreal rain.
-WJ

vardon
01-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks for all the great information. We just got back from Mexico and had a great time. I tried the Boca bridge area but there were a lot of people so we quickly headed south. We didn't really stop until we got to xcalak. I tried to rent a kayak there to take into the lagoon but there were none. I used the kayaks at the hotel to visit the ocean reefs but the canal was way to far to go. So I hired guides for two days and had a great time. Many bonefish, one snook and one permit. The permit was smaller but still fun. For anyone interested - Not the greatest DIY place but with a guide it is great.