PDA

View Full Version : New techniques For tuna this year

Hardtail Hunter
02-12-2009, 03:40 PM
What new techniques or equipment are you going to try this year
Last Year the slugos were the hot ...
I'm thinking of trying a plastic ballyhoo spreader bar south of the islands after having a white marlin take a swipe at a plastic ballyhoo daisy chain.
The other thing Im trying is to work on targeting the tuna east of chatham on spin and fly better so that maybe I wil go out there with no trolling gear--127-3-

Roostahfish
02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I think you'll be hard pressed to catch these tuna on a fly next year, pending the same class of fish come back. I'm no expert, but the difference in what a 70-80# fish fights like compared to a 100-120# is night and day.

Personally I don't want to fight these guys on anything smaller than a 50...again pending the fish from last year show up 30-50# bigger. Maybe I'm spoiled, but after 15 minutes on lighter gear this become a lot more work than fun. Or maybe I'm just getting old........

CMP
02-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Yep, Roostah is right. Break out the big stix! I have a 15 wt and am waiting to hear on a 20 wt...

CMP

Soundking
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
So, first let's operate under the assumption that the fish first seen in '05 return. There isn't another push of the perfect sized ones, and we resigned to fishing that god forsaken sandbar parking lot.

My tactics may be a bit of a zig to the other's zag. While I am going to have several 50's on the boat this year, my main focus is going to be on the spinning gear. Towards the end of last year, we were beating 60" fish on spin gear in 10 minutes. I am building new rods on heavy blanks this winter, persuing new terminal tackle and researching new lures and presentations. I think that I am going to focus on getting really good at meat fishing or tagging with the heavy gear. At the same time, when I am fishing solo or with a highly experienced crew, I am going to really focus on the spin gear. Over the past three years I have become a bit of a technique junkie. If there are 65 inch fish readily available next year, I plan on figuring out how to beat them on spin gear in under 25 minutes without the aid of a harness. Lofty goal? Yeah. Impossible? It's likely. But, I've actually been training for fighting these fish for a month or so and when they show up should be in good enough shape to handle it physically. Technique will be the challenge and I am all about it.

Hardtail Hunter
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Sk .. Im thinking of getting one of these http://www.anglers-proshop.com/Black-Devil-Introduction.pdf the guys are landing big fish in under 5mins with them
I do realize that if the fish are to big for fly that I will switch to spin ... But I do think with the right fly gear you can land a very large tuna .. but a lot of it depends on the size class that comes in this year

Ken Catch
02-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Guess your family wasn't one of the Madoff Victims ehh James?

Roostahfish
02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
JJ,
What kind of spinning reel were you using last year/planning on using this year. The Spheros I bought last year never got a fish, but it sounds like they didn't hold up all that great from what I've heard here and there. I'm starting to think the Stella is the way to go, but coming to terms with their price tag is tough.

Soundking
02-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Nothing too special, bro. Just the same old standard Saragosa and VS Jig Rod. Total combo is about 55% of the retail cost of a Stella. I mean you could go out and buy a $1500 setup, but that would be lame because you could kick just as much ass as a setup costing 33% of that.

Hardtail Hunter
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Ken ... Just saw the price of that Rod looks like im going to be making one instead ... Ken think we will be able to make a canyon trip this year

pametfisher
02-13-2009, 10:55 AM
It's hard to know for sure what size fish we're going to see in CCB and on Stellwagen but I'd like to be prepared for fish in the 150 to 200 lb. range. Personally I like throwing poppers, etc. to the surface fish and jigging so I'm planning to upgrade reels, line and rod. Here's what I'm thinking:

Line: Last year I bought a new reel that was supposed to have been loaded with 50# braid. After the season was over, tests showed that it was 30# line with an actual breaking strength of 40#. My plan is to upgrade to 60# braid if I can use all spliced connections and wind-on style leaders (still deciding) or to go 80# if I decide to tie knots. Wind-on leaders will be either loop-to-loop or spliced in.

Reel: My Penn 950 SSMs are good to about 16-18 lbs. drag. I would like to get to 20-25#. I have purchased Stella 20K FA (older model) off eBay, to cut the cost of new 20K SW which is in the stratosphere. I thought about other spinning reels but top mounted drag washers (Spheros, Saragosa type) concentrate the heat in too small an area, IMO. 950 SSM and Stella are both bottom of spool drags. For me, the sustainability of drag level is important.

Rod: I have St. Croix SWS70MHF. I'm trying to find a rod with enough backbone to throw heavy plugs & jigs, and with enough backbone to withstand 25-30 lbs. of drag, but also one that bends enough so that it isn't too long when pulling fish from below the boat. I'd like a lot more leverage during the lifting phase. I'd appreciate any recommendations. (??)

Go Fish
02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/Dynamite.jpg

Soundking
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Kevin, the guy who works across the hall from me just came into my cube to see what the cackle was all about. Well done, dude, well done.

Smcdermott
02-13-2009, 01:44 PM
At the same time, when I am fishing solo or with a highly experienced crew, I am going to really focus on the spin gear. Over the past three years I have become a bit of a technique junkie. If there are 65 inch fish readily available next year, I plan on figuring out how to beat them on spin gear in under 25 minutes without the aid of a harness. Lofty goal? Yeah. Impossible? It's likely. But, I've actually been training for fighting these fish for a month or so and when they show up should be in good enough shape to handle it physically. Technique will be the challenge and I am all about it.

Call me crazy but I don't think that is that lofty a goal. World record on a fly with 20lb tippet is ~200lbs and that fish was taken in under an hour. 30lb plus on conventional is well over 300lbs I believe. If your talking 60lb braid and leader or better its really all about just what has been talked about in the fighting fish thread. Biggest technique failures I have seen in photos including ones of myself is not setting yourself up for success. I see a lot of bent elbows which are tiring probably one of the smallest mucles you can fight these fish with your bicep. Being hunched over the gunwale instead of the helmsman helping you keep a flatter angle and the strain off the lower back. Just those two will help you tire the fish out with the gear instead of your muscles. Just my $.02.

Sean

Fin Addiction
02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Im glad everyone else is planning on trolling for them, it will free up schools to cast to..:brow
Personally I feel like the Arbys guy when I think of 200lb fish on feathers...:cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGP3_cb-TK8

ruge13
02-13-2009, 04:21 PM
It seems ironic to me that one would be concentrated on technique but also then need to be in peak physical condition? Meathead tuna fishing? Seems like you are after a zen like experience as if you were a frail little Chinese guy tossing around Jean Claude while blind folded atop a 13th century dynasty castle? Instead you would rather come swinging like the Governator during a forest fire (is that enough Shieldesquian verbiage for ya?)... Jessica Simpson would be proud young Kingwalker....

Fear not ladies, size does matter. "THE" stick is coming.... it's tested, it lands in under 8 minutes, tosses an unweighted sluggo and a heavy popper, it costs less than $500, it can handle 40+ lbs of drag, and..... its big :brow

Of course J, I too have been working on next year's technique... You Gotta tame the beast before you can let it out of its cage...
http://i27.tinypic.com/2ew1l42.jpg

clcharette
02-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I think I'll try live bait this year. A few guys I talked to said the hits are amazing.

riptide
02-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Shaun you not telling them about the......................Riptide Edition BIG GUN! Are you?

This is a flyfishing site. Who here would want a custom spinning rod with the best components you could put on it. Starting with a Gray/Black composite rod blank with gold, silver and black wraps. Graphite and fiberglass from butt to tip. The Big Gun is a state of the art fishing rod, built with a level of strength, durability and performance that is unmatched! These rods are light in weight, yet provide a strong recoil for landing the big ones!

I mean really, 8+1 Fuji SIC guides, an oversized first guide so the braid comes off larger reels more smoothly.

Some might even say that the special foregrip is....... you know what I'm not even going there. No other spinning rod has it, so it's probably a waste anyway :rolleyes:
http://riptidecharters.com/Biggun.JPG

Nobody's gonna want a rod that is proven to put nearly 40# of drag on a big tuna and break its spirit instantly and land it in under 10 minutes.... what fun would that be. But if you did the metal gimble butt sure would be handy. Come to think of it, when trolling sluggo's that metal gimble would be great too.

Besides most people like the challenge of tossing an unweighted sluggo more than a few yards, why ruin that with a heavy rod that will thow one a mile?

Having the ability to put a reel rest on a spinning rod due to a HD metal reel seat would let you fight and land that once in a lifetime monster with a belt and harness. I think most would rather let the fish work them over for hours until something inevitably fails. Thats how you accumulate really cool fish stories to tell about the one that got away.

So whatever you do don't tell them there is only one place you can find this rod ;)
http://riptidecharters.com/Hookup.jpg

ruge13
02-13-2009, 05:27 PM
You can do that with one of these??

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/more-freshwater/2005/05/fishing-barbie

riptide
02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
You can, but your the exception to the rule:p

Soundking
02-13-2009, 05:46 PM
I always thought that Team Riptide caught fish on pure aura alone?

The Grey Ghost calls 'em in. Be it harbor pollack on Fipps, toad bass at night or tunas in the spots that must not be named.

That, and it wont hurt this year to have the new line of SK Kustom Lures. Rip, gimme a shout tonight.

Go Fish
02-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Eric let me play with Terry's new toy at the RI boat show.

It's a BIG stick with a light touch.

I especially like the the fore grip. It is shaped such that you can control rod roll induced by cranking like a mad man. The finger knotches are a nice detail.

JAVIDANGLER
02-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I saw that rod at the show also. It is a fine work of art.
Interestingly I built 2 rods 4-5 years ago (on the same blank!!) and the folks at the place I ordered the materials thought I was nuts. I haven't landed any tuna on them but Cod to 23 lbs and Bass to 25lbs. The rod mad it seem like I was pond fishing bluegills. Any one consdiering big tuna on a spin rod, it's the one to get !!
--127-3-

e-sea-e
02-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Shaun you not telling them about the......................Riptide Edition BIG GUN! Are you?

This is a flyfishing site. Who here would want a custom spinning rod with the best components you could put on it. Starting with a Gray/Black composite rod blank with gold, silver and black wraps. Graphite and fiberglass from butt to tip. The Big Gun is a state of the art fishing rod, built with a level of strength, durability and performance that is unmatched! These rods are light in weight, yet provide a strong recoil for landing the big ones!

I mean really, 8+1 Fuji SIC guides, an oversized first guide so the braid comes off larger reels more smoothly.

Some might even say that the special foregrip is....... you know what I'm not even going there. No other spinning rod has it, so it's probably a waste anyway :rolleyes:
http://riptidecharters.com/Biggun.JPG

Nobody's gonna want a rod that is proven to put nearly 40# of drag on a big tuna and break its spirit instantly and land it in under 10 minutes.... what fun would that be. But if you did the metal gimble butt sure would be handy. Come to think of it, when trolling sluggo's that metal gimble would be great too.

Besides most people like the challenge of tossing an unweighted sluggo more than a few yards, why ruin that with a heavy rod that will thow one a mile?

Having the ability to put a reel rest on a spinning rod due to a HD metal reel seat would let you fight and land that once in a lifetime monster with a belt and harness. I think most would rather let the fish work them over for hours until something inevitably fails. Thats how you accumulate really cool fish stories to tell about the one that got away.

So whatever you do don't tell them there is only one place you can find this rod ;)
http://riptidecharters.com/Hookup.jpg

terry, is that rod on the hook up's on line store site yet? I looked and only saw 1 spinning rod, but it dosent appear to be the one youre talking about above. Im curious what the overall length is, the length of the fore/rear grips, and the total wieght of the rod. Do you know the price on it....I can call eric if you like, but thought you may have this info..

also, who makes the blank..I'm assuming its calstar...

thanks!

thanks.

riptide
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
terry, is that rod on the hook up's on line store site yet? I looked and only saw 1 spinning rod, but it dosent appear to be the one youre talking about above. Im curious what the overall length is, the length of the fore/rear grips, and the total wieght of the rod. Do you know the price on it....I can call eric if you like, but thought you may have this info..

also, who makes the blank..I'm assuming its calstar...

thanks!

thanks.

No it is not on his site yet.

Blank is Calstar,
Its a 7er
Foregrip 14"
My scale only goes to 20oz and its a tick over that (guessing around 22oz)
I believe the price is coming in @ $399 but for that you would have to call The Hook Up.

T

e-sea-e
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Im also toying with the idea of vertical jigging rigged ballyhoo when I am on fish that just wont hit the jig or wieghted sluggo. there are 2 problems with this...first, rigging the hoo a 1 oz or bigger wieght and second, keeping the dogfish off them.

I got #2 solved...only drop it when you are actully on tuna and they wont bite and there arent any dogs around. usually when we see good schools of fish subsurface, there arent dogs around, and vice versa.

as for 1, Im pretty inexperienced rigging hoos, so I got something to learn this winter. anyone familiiar with rigging hoos see a problem with rigging them with 1 to 1-1/2 oz egg sinkers?

Soundking
02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Im also toying with the idea of vertical jigging rigged ballyhoo when I am on fish that just wont hit the jig or wieghted sluggo. there are 2 problems with this...first, rigging the hoo a 1 oz or bigger wieght and second, keeping the dogfish off them.

I got #2 solved...only drop it when you are actully on tuna and they wont bite and there arent any dogs around. usually when we see good schools of fish subsurface, there arent dogs around, and vice versa.

as for 1, Im pretty inexperienced rigging hoos, so I got something to learn this winter. anyone familiiar with rigging hoos see a problem with rigging them with 1 to 1-1/2 oz egg sinkers?

You're gonna need pin rigs, egg sinkers, good dexterity with copper wire and some longshanks. All of which I happen to have. If you wanna order up a pack of baits, I'll show ya how to rig them this weekend.

Jig man's looking for a new technique to invent? Gimme a shout ya no fish catching homo.

e-sea-e
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
You're gonna need pin rigs, egg sinkers, good dexterity with copper wire and some longshanks. All of which I happen to have. If you wanna order up a pack of baits, I'll show ya how to rig them this weekend.

Jig man's looking for a new technique to invent? Gimme a shout ya no fish catching homo.

J, I'll do that. thats about what I thought I need.