PDA

View Full Version : Power Pro: 30lb or 15lb, for distance?

UnaPezMas
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Hello All!

Would there be any significant difference (as far as casting distance) between 30 lb power pro and say 15 or 12 lb?

Background: I currently have a spheros 500fb with 30 lb power pro, itís on an 8 foot tsunami airwave, rated for ĺ to 3 oz (I think, but really only throws up to 2 oz) . I was thinking of purchasing another spool to have the choice of 30 lb or a lower rated 12 or 15 lb test braid. Ideally this would be for spring schoolies, and maybe for later on in the season to throw unweighted plastics (sluggos, etc) a bit further.

The question: Do you think itís worth it? Will the wind knots be that much worse? Right now, I had only one for the whole last season of use (first time with braid). Will the distance increase be substantial?

I am almost sure I will increase to a 10 foot stick as well this season! --125-3

Thank you all for your time and comments!

Chris

RJ
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
The smaller dia. will let you throw smaller lures farther and sink faster.

I like Suffix over power pro and swithched to it about two years ago.

In Florida I fishied with a couple of guides and one of them has medium and light spin rods 6' and 7' with Crystal Fireline on them.

I caught redfish and speckled sea trout using 2.5" Gulp on #4 Eagle circle hooks. The 8# light lemon colored line was only 3# mono in dia. Great distance to feeding fish and a solid hook up the minute they took the bait and turned away. No stretchand great feel. The biggest redfish I caught withthat line was an about 15 lbs. redfish.

Ray
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
The first thing I would do is get rid of the PP and go to something softer like Stren Super braid of Suffix. I use both lines on 7' St Croix rods for light and heavier items. I think it made a huge differebce in the casting performance.

spitfisher
04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
In theory the smaller diameter of the line should go further-However having used both 15 and 30 power pro, I believe the distance to be insignificant.

However the diameter of the spool that the line is on can be very signifacant. In my particuler unofficial experiment I noticed a huge difference when using the same #30 on my stradic 6000 on my stcroix, then swapping my Daiwa emblem pro, same line, same rod had 7 maybe as much as 10 yards difference under the same conditions (same spot and day).

The first eyelet-closest to the reel can also be a factor- too big a reel on too short a rod can make the angle (line from the reel to first eyelet) very steep,the result can be energy loss of the line going thru the eyelets.

' Hope this sheds some light on your question.

UnaPezMas
04-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Dear All,

Thank you, Ray and RJ, so much for your feedback. I especially like the suggestion of the Suffix, etc over the power pro. I was happy with the first season of the braid (only one knot, which chewed out), because of my huge fears of wind knots, etc.

Thank you, Spitfisher too, your statement about the functional difference between 30 and 15 was great. This was just what I was looking for. I was hesitant to drop some $$ on a new spool, and then more $$ on the braid itself if there was not to be any real noticible difference in casting distance. Sure it's not too much $$, but it can always be spent someplace else (like a 10' rod).

I would have to agree with you about the spool diameter being a large cause of how friction-less the lone leaves the spool. Larger spool, easier to cast, whereas I also have a smaller freshwater reel (shimano 4000 series) with the small spool diamter, and i think i've noticed differences in mono from the 8 to 14# in how easily the line floats off.

Thank you all for your tips. Maybe next season I will go with some 20#, just to compromise.

If you disagree, please let me know!

Thanks a ton,

Chris

Onshore
04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with RJ and have used both 15# and 30# pp and a noodle rod for Reds and Trout here in the lagoon. When it's too windy for a flyrod, it's a nice alternative from the kayak - angled to quarter the wind for long casts with really light lures.

Joey Langan
04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
I also prefer the suffix braid by a wide margin over the pp. The smaller dia. will give you greater distance but you may want to check it periodically after fishing around heavy weeds or rocks. I have had the first 100ft of braid get so many knicks from weeds that I broke off a lure about every cast until I figured out what was going on. :eek::confused:

mumichog
04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I had more tangles with the lighter stuff (>15lb) in both Suffix and PP. Suffix didn't live up to my expectations of fewer tangles in the 20lb either.

I really fill my spools right to the edge (mostly Shimano Spheros and Stradic 4000's), I'm beginning to think this is the source of my tangling issues. I max out the spool for added distance and ease of casting lighter lures but I'm wondering - does topping out the spools actually provide that more distance? Is any added distance enough to be worth more tangles? What's been your experience with filling spools?