PDA

View Full Version : quashnet during the herring run?

ShaneY
04-25-2009, 07:48 AM
I was thinking of trying to do a striper and trout day next week, and wanted to try the upper quashnet, do the herring make it more difficult to fish for trout? IE are they crowding out pools or spooking the trout?

bdowning
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Unless there has been VAST improvement in that run over the past ten years, I doubt you'll see many herring let alone a crowd of them. I fished John's Pond a couple of weeks ago where the Quashnet begins and was shocked to see 15 herring below the ladder. But I think that was the exception rather than the rule.

-bd

BobG
04-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Unless there has been VAST improvement in that run over the past ten years, I doubt you'll see many herring let alone a crowd of them. I fished John's Pond a couple of weeks ago where the Quashnet begins and was shocked to see 15 herring below the ladder. But I think that was the exception rather than the rule.

-bd

To give you an idea just how bad that runs has been, I was under the impression it had died.:rolleyes: Some 10 years back, the front of the run as it exited the pond actually silted in, and no herring could get up, and I'm certain at least one entire year class was lost.

BobG
04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Since we're talking about the Quashnet River herring run and John's Pond, I'd be remiss if I didn't add this footnote.

There was a time when John's Pond was considered the premier trout pond in Ma, if not one of the best in NE. Back in those days, the Quashnet River was an amzingly strong herring run (like most were back then). When you combine that with that pond's ability to sustain holdover trout, you can understand how this came to be.
I can recall trout fishermen from all over the state trailering their small boats to the Cape in the late fall, not to fish stripers, but rather trout at John's. The 2-4" herring fry would mass in giant schools, waiting for the right time to return to the sea. During that time the trout would feast on them. The fish stocked that spring had gotten big and fat over the summer, and were now in the 2+ pound range. Then there were the true trophy fish(over 5 lbs), which emerged from the depths to gorge themselves on herring fry.
Pretty much everyone trolled herring fry patterns on either lead core or light wire line.
I'm almost certain that the state record brown, and even possibly rainbow trout came from John's.
But, as the herring run declined, and essentially died, so did the trout fishery.