PDA

View Full Version : Upper Narr. Bay 05-16

Captcastafly
05-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Striper fishing has been hit or miss during the week. High winds and rough water has put a damper on much of the surface activity. The bay is spotty with smaller baitfish. Some say they are bay anchovies; my guess would be silversides or immature sea herring. Activity picks up with the moving tide.

My son and I found a slug of stripers just south of Conimicut Light on Tuesday afternoon on our maiden voyage. Two stripers fell to a Clouser that hit the mid teen mark. Morning hours are by far the most consistent but the bite quickly dies. So far the adult bunker schools have not moved into the upper bay. Some anglers have reported that there are bunker in the Port of Providence. Unless there is an influx of more plentiful bait, the striper bit will be slow again for this time of year.

On Saturday morning, we were surprised to find a worm swarm in twenty feet of water near Warwick Country Club. Dozens of boils and plenty of birds produced no results. The cinder worms were about one and half inches in length were bright darkish red. That quickly died out too. Once rounding Warwick Light the dense fog covered the bay. We limped around for the next four hours using our electronics to try and locate fish along the eastern shore of Potters Cove. Nothing! Finally the fog broke and there were a few bass in the teens caught around Bear Point in a fleet of boats. Dave Pollack nailed a beauty in the fourteen plus range on a Clemson streamer fished deep with a sink line in twenty feet right in the middle of the fleet. Dave caught two other smaller stripers on the same pattern fly. Dave certainly has a dandy of a good early season fly.

Dave Pollack with a midteen striper caught on a Clemson Streamer.

https://plus3.safe-order.net/castaflycharters//Img_0361.jpg

rel
05-17-2009, 09:23 AM
CaptRay- Nice looking fish. I was curious about the fly-Clemson streamer but can't find anything on the net. Could you send along the pattern? Ron.<email: ronaldlomas@comcast.net>

eatfish
05-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Landed 2 keepers on live pogies and a schoolie on my own plug on Saturday, way up near the tanks, saw 3 other fish caught and heard of a few more.

Mike

Captcastafly
05-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Here you go Ron...... Straight from Dave Pollacks e-mails.
Sorry I have no picture! I'll try to get you one as soon as possible. The fly basicly is around 6-7 inches.

Clemson Streamer

Hook: Mustad 253, 2/0 to 6/0

Thread: White 140 Denier

Body: Bill's body braid, pearl

Wing: Tied sparsely, White Slinky Flash under Purple (lavender) Slinky Flash under peacock herl. (“Flash ‘N Slinky” or Steve Ferrar’s Flash Blend may be substituted for Slinky Flash.) Note: Puglisi Fiber or equivalent can be used but the
slinky flash ties nicely and I use the type that has flash built in. If
Puglisi Fiber is used, add pearlescent Krystal Flash for the sparkle. In any
event, the material is tied sparsely, top and bottom and not on the sides as
a typical Puglisi fly would be tied.

Throat: White Slinky Flash

Eyes: Holographic, either flat or molded (rounded). Use Goop to paste on the flat eyes. With molded eyes, stick on and then add 5 minute epoxy, filling the area between the eyes to make a rounded head.

Wing Stiffener: Because this fly tends to tangle around the hook bend when
casting, I like to stiffen the wing above the shank with Softex. It's not
perfect but I find this more effective than mono loops or other mechanical
devices. I use a wire threader, but a bodkin or thick
needle would work also. Keep the fly in the vise; hold the tail end to give
it the shape you want, dip the tool in the Softex and then poke it into the
body of the fly, starting behind the eyes and back as far as a half inch
past the hook bend. With the tool I use, four to six 'stabs' on top and
three or four on each side does the trick. The fly should not be coated and
should remain flexible, with just a bit of stiffness to minimize fouling.

Comment: This fly is patterned after a fly given to me by Capt. Barry Clemson, who guides out of Ipswitch, Mass. The pattern is Barry's 'go to' fly when there are herring or other fair sized bait fish around. I find it very effective in the spring no matter what the bait is. Barry's recommended technique is a very long, fast strip, although I have caught fish on this pattern dead drifted in a current.

rel
05-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Ray- Thanks. rel

Captcastafly
05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Ron,

Here's a pic that might help!

Ron
05-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Nice fish on the fly and great picture.

I fished close to home for a couple hours early but caught nothing on rubber and plugs. Wind died down about 9:00 so we went to the Upper Bay also. Ended up with 18 fish, 6 legal (30-35") all on tube an worm. Hope to get out with the flyrod this coming weekend.

Didn't see anything on top except a school of pogies in the Taunton River.

Ron

Captcastafly
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Ron,

There should be tons of bait in the bay this deep into the spring season. Hope this isn't the trend for this year.

There are a few individual stripers in the teens off the Northeast side of Prudence and Quonset Point. Boy!, are they well spread out. No large numbers of fish except for a few small schoolies chasing tiny bait at times.

rel
05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Ray- That's what I've been finding from shore- no large concentrations plus alot of unmolested bait. The water is still cool though so things might change with this up coming moon. rel