PDA

View Full Version : canal report***

BobG
05-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I may have had a few better outings on the canal over the years, but never on the fly rod.(#$119) From dawn until 9am it was a steady run of bass, virtually all keeper size, with half of those being 35" and above.:brow
Took my new fly rod best, taping out at 40.5". Even on the 12wt, she took me well into my backing. She was released.;)
The fish are throughout the canal, and also taking plastic swimmer baits and large swimmer plugs with vigor.

Bob Parsons
05-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Since I'm boatless for the weekend, spent 45 min. at the canal almost in your back yard. Nothing.... none of the others did anything while I was there. One of the others said he had a sub legal earlier. I did hear of a good morning bite but did not plan for a sunday outing due to the forecast.

Onshore
05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Happy to see your report, Bob. You are, no doubt, one of the most persistant folks I know when it comes to fishing the ditch. Glad you had a good day. I see you're fishing the long rod more and more this season. And, I hope thos fish hang around for you guys this year.

Is Turkey season over ?

BobG
05-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Happy to see your report, Bob. You are, no doubt, one of the most persistant folks I know when it comes to fishing the ditch. Glad you had a good day. I see you're fishing the long rod more and more this season. And, I hope thos fish hang around for you guys this year.

Is Turkey season over ?

Thanks for the kind words.

As for turkey, I had the entire season to myself, and it was over in 3 days.:brow You need feathers for the muddlers?

john hollenberg
05-17-2009, 03:39 PM
My hats off to Bob. It was the most impressive shoreline flyfishing I have witnessed. This was not a great blitz with fish breaking everywhere. I was fishing next to Bob and did not get a hit. You could see maybe 20 guys. Most guys got1-5 fish. Only one other guy came close to the size and number of hook ups Bob got. Awesome.

jeffsod
05-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Sweet!! Congrats Bob.

Traditional single hand style? Would love to see the fly thats working.

bdowning
05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
The killer of it is, I know when, where, and still made the brilliant decision to sleep in this AM. By the time I got down there this evening, all those fish were a distant memory :confused:.

Don't fish the place out Bob, save me some for Mem Day w/e! --123-3

-bd

bb1
05-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I may have had a few better outings on the canal over the years, but never on the fly rod.(#$119) From dawn until 9am it was a steady run of bass, virtually all keeper size, with half of those being 35" and above.:brow
Took my new fly rod best, taping out at 40.5". Even on the 12wt, she took me well into my backing. She was released.;)
The fish are throughout the canal, and also taking plastic swimmer baits and large swimmer plugs with vigor.

Does that mean near slack, w/ the long wand???

Mid canal too --123-3....sounds good. And good for you Bob!