PDA

View Full Version : Complete lack of professionalism

DaveK
05-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Off the topic of fly fishing and even stripers but wanted to use this platform to inform my fellow anglers:

Had a charted booked with Sushi Hunter out of Portsmouth, NH this weekend for an offshore Cod trip. Got an ambiguous email last week saying they were having trouble with their "Coast Gaurd Inspection/Certification" but that all was going to be ready for us this coming weekend.

Received an email this morning saying trip was "most likely going to be cancelled." Through some frantic calling and some very helpful people we have rebooked with a charter out of Newburyport.

I am not a charter captain and so do not know what inspections or certifications are required but I figured if this was your livelyhood you would have this process under control. Its not like these guys are new on the block.

Heard a rumor there were some boats caught selling short tuna to restaurants by the Maine Fish and Game last week. Related?? I can't say. Just seems coincidental.

I guess this serves as an endorsement to sites like Reel-Time who have sponsor pages with charters who you can trust.

MacCTD
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Is the trip for this coming weekend, 23rd and 24th?
Does not seem that bad if you they gave you almost a weeks notice.

BobG
05-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Selling short tuna in mid May? Where are they catching them, S. Carolina?

z-drive
05-18-2009, 04:04 PM
:browSelling short tuna in mid May? Where are they catching them, S. Carolina?

yea, unless it just caught up with them. who knows. they only need an inspection/COI if the vessel is beyond the "UPV" category. generally inspections are in-depth, require a haul, and are something i'd like to have done november-march if applicable. a weeks notice isnt too bad though, assuming you get all your money back.

--username-deleted--
05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
A rig named Sushi Hunter headed out for codfish? I'd have smelled a rat a lot earlier than that!

:brow

CMP
05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I haven't fished Doug and the boys, but I do know he enjoys a fantastic rep in the Seacoast as a very good cap and crew. I know several of his fellow charter guys up here and have never heard any of them utter a negative word in a very competitive market. That you seize on the disappointment of a cancelled trip to trash the guy and others jump on-board without benefit of their side of the story is pretty pathetic. Then you compound that by insinuating that he did something illegal, yet you have nothing to back it up. Rumor-mongering is about as assholish as it gets in this business and you sure put it out there no matter how much you try to couch it as "I can't say"or "maybe it's coincidental". No matter how you try to backpedal, you put something very negative out there with nothing to back it up except pure speculation. Maybe you should take a breath and ask for a better explanation prior to taking potshots at someone who isn't here...

CMP

gf2020
05-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm with Mark. The only "Complete lack of professionalism" I can see is by you DaveK in posting this message.

The captain notified you well in advance that there may be an issue in his ability to provide the charter, you were able to get re-booked on a different boat, why is there a need to trash talk about the guy? (#$119)

--username-deleted--
05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
I confess to having been indifferent when posting my attempt at a little levity earlier. Having read the original post again, I strongly concur that igniting the torches for said outfit--or any other-- for a cancelled trip is dead wrong. Tossing in some rumormongering really raises the level on the shytey-thing-to-do-o-meter. Posting facts is one thing; posting unfounded accusations and the like is another entirely. To learn that fisheries misdeeds have been proven, well then I'll likely pitch in for some gas for the bonfire, but calling a man out for cancelling a trip with a week's notice, which I think is ample, is dead wrong. Thanks for the reality check CMP.

L

P.S. I still am suspicious of any rig that chases bottomfish with the name sushi in it. :cool:

FlyFishFrostie
05-19-2009, 12:22 AM
I would think twice about re-booking a trip with an outfit that cancelled unless I had a full explanation for the cancelation that was plausible. Seems to me that being completely prepared for upcoming charters is a major factor in a captain's reputation, just as in any service industry.

Years ago I booked a trip with Baja Anglers, confirmed by e-mail and telephone with captain Grant Hartman in Cabo San Lucas. I checked in at the dock the evening before the scheduled charter, but the "help" was nowhere to be found.

Evidently, they had forgotten about my charter and had decided to fish with another customer on the East Cape instead. They felt badly about what happened and offered me a "free" outing the next time I was in Cabo, but I had already spent $$$ to get to and stay in Cabo for that particular charter, so their offer was pretty lame, even if they had given me one week's notice of the cancellation. Such lapses in preparation and planning really don't have a place on the high seas when the convenience and safety of paying customers could be involved, so I never took them up on their "free" offer.

Mistakes happen, granted, but truly foreseeable and thus preventable mistakes are a factor in anybody's overall reputation, IMHO. Sounds like DaveK's experience involved something that should have been preventable by the captain. If this captain was worried about his reputation, the least he could have done was to find another charter for DaveK, especially if DaveK had made travel and hotel arrangements in advance of the charter.

--username-deleted--
05-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Not for nuttin', but while both you and Dave's 'bad experiences' are notable--particularly yours for the lame no show --, they are of the fluffernutter sandwich with the crusts cut off variety. ;) I would have killed to have had a bad experiences like yours... :eek:--124-3:-% All that said, I'm sorry to hear of anyone having a lousy experience, and I'm 100% for posting bad experiences. I have, as a warning/heads-up to others as well as a means of payback, if we're being honest. Still, from the OP's description, while it certainly doesn't inspire confidence, doesn't justify the speculative/rumor stuff added as a teaser. Pure conjecture designed to smear, if we're being real, wouldn't you say?

Capt. John
05-19-2009, 05:21 AM
Huge difference between giving someone a weeks notice on a canceled trip and a no show at the dock...the two are not even in the same universe :rolleyes: .

Bruce H
05-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Well Done.

Suggest this thread get locked down ASAP or its going to get ugly!

Onshore
05-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree completely with CMP. I've chartered and hired guides in the US and Canada for years. I've had some cancelled(well in advance). There is no good reason to trash talk and rumormonger a guide who gave you a week's notice - none at all.

z-drive
05-19-2009, 09:35 AM
if you look up his operation, he has a serious boat (inspected), and in order to have that kind of business to support such a vessel you must have a half decent following of customers. you wouldn't have that otherwise. someone in florida or other big throughput place can get away without it, but not up here. looking at his boat, its what we call a "t-boat," so the inspection is in-depth unless you're in bed with the inspector...thats not all that uncommon either. this time of year inspections can get out of whack due to volume, and one document can throw it way off. botom line is more likely than not this is a ligit operator who has his act together and shouldn't be ripped on.

ppatricelli
05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Flyfishfrostie,

You've got serious grounds for complaint.

BUT.....

Grant Harman and Baja Anglers have been around for a very long time and, altho ((sadly) I've never fished with them I have followed their website and have read many reports from guys fishing with them, and raving about them. If you asked for references, I think you would get a flood.

What conclusion can be drawn about 1 mistake? I guess that's up for interpretation.

To err is human, to forgive.....a good idea if it means a free trip of a lifetime. Too bad it's all the way down in Baja.

A repeated pattern of mistakes and then there's serious cause for public complaining.

FlyFishFrostie
05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Flyfishfrostie,

You've got serious grounds for complaint.

BUT.....

Grant Harman and Baja Anglers have been around for a very long time and, altho ((sadly) I've never fished with them I have followed their website and have read many reports from guys fishing with them, and raving about them. If you asked for references, I think you would get a flood.

What conclusion can be drawn about 1 mistake? I guess that's up for interpretation.

To err is human, to forgive.....a good idea if it means a free trip of a lifetime. Too bad it's all the way down in Baja.

A repeated pattern of mistakes and then there's serious cause for public complaining.

My only point was that DaveK, while perhaps jumping to some erroneous conclusions, probably was not unreasonable in raising questions about the captain's professionalism, which was the whole point of his post.

As you said, to err is human, so why are people jumping down DaveK's throat for posting of his assessment, even if he might have erred in some of his conclusion? Judgments usually have to be made with less than perfect information. Those who don't mind the apparent unpreparedness and lack of courtesy by the captain in DaveK's instance are, of course, free to hire him, but blaming the victim here seems odd.

Regarding my own experience, I'm sure that particular outfit has lots of satisfied customers, but apparently you haven't heard of at least one remarkable mishap that occurred several years after my experience, one that involved a former sponsor and charter captain connected with this site who spent a winter working there.

Poor planning and preparation often tend to be repeated, not necessarily consistently repeated, but on occasion and sometimes with a very bad outcome.

gseries69
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
From a business standpoint the only thing that matters is the voice of the customer aka VOC. You are in business to create customers...period. If Dave K has a complaint then so be it. It is up to the business to address his complaint so long as he let them know he was unhappy. If they did nothing to address it then he has every right to complain. If they do address it he should post again letting us know that the charter business did so.

joel
05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
the disapointment of a cancelled trip notwithstanding: discussing behavior that may or may not constitute a lack of professionalism is fine; speculating on tuna poaching based on what is (to date) nothing more than a rumor is not. my 0.02.

notime
05-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd say both parties are to blame. DavidK in his frustration over reacted and shouldn't have discussed the tuna issue. However, the charter captain should have taken more responsibility. I think the client deserved a phone call, an apology, and an explanation. As someone who is in the client service industry, we all make errors. It is how you address and fix them that is often more important. I think a call from the charter captain explaining the problem, acknowledging the inconvenience to the client, and an offer to fix the problem would have gone a long way. Maybe reschedule at a discount, hook him up with another guide, whatever. It appears this may have been out of the captain's control, all the more reason to give the client more details.

browndog
05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I believe a weeks notice is adequate. Chit happens. I'm sure the captain would rather be fishing than sitting at the dock.

CMP
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I believe a weeks notice is adequate. Chit happens. I'm sure the captain would rather be fishing than sitting at the dock.

x2...

CMP

Living Waters
05-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Sushi Hunter has been around a long time. If I remember correctly, they also owned a photo shop in MHT, I used to see their truck parked outside it all the time.

gseries69
05-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Yup, the days of "the customer is always right" are gone.

Perch
05-20-2009, 10:49 AM
“To err is human, to forgive is divine.” True enough. But I prefer this version:
“To err is human/ To forgive takes restraint./ To forget you forgave is the mark of a saint.”

Here’s my story. Less than 24 hours before I left for Key West in late March for four days of offshore flyfishing my guide’s appendix burst. This guy--Steve Rodger--is beyond good. He is one of the truly great guides anywhere. Here’s how he handled the situation. Even before he made it to the hospital his wife was lining up other guides for us. You have no idea how tough that is when you have only one day. Anyway, between two guides (both talented and fun to fish with) the trip was rescued, and we didn’t lose one hour of fishing. Steve, in his early 30s, is a strong, tough kid; and it was back on the ocean two weeks later.