PDA

View Full Version : Haba in the a.m.

jackduckhunter
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Will be launching out of Winthrop tomorrow a.m.

I'll have it on channel 65 if anybody wants to check in. Hail for Duckhunter.

JJB
06-03-2009, 02:21 PM
i will be out in the afternoon looking around. hope to find some of the all out blitzs i ran into late last week.....

BillyD123
06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
What you after & how?

jackduckhunter
06-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Stripers mainly.

ShaneY
06-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I'll be out there too irish jig or Shane on 69--127-3-

jackduckhunter
06-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Sounds good. I'll try to remember to hail you.

(Irish Jig!!) Same name of my buddy's boat down the Cape.

mendy
06-03-2009, 09:37 PM
You wont have to go far, Capt Jack...

jackduckhunter
06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
You wont have to go far, Capt Jack...

Thanks Capt. John. Wish I had you out there to point the way!

Found some birds but very very picky fish under them. Saw very few hookups, mainly on the fly.

Did hit the motherload of macks thanks to intel from another reeltimer and ended up running back inside with them and getting a few nice fish.

jackduckhunter
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM

Hey there Shane, tried to hail you but no luck. Next time!

BillyD123
06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Jack where the heck were you? It was insane out there this morning!
Non stop blitz action from 6-9:30. The best I've seen this year. There was this one dude out there, who needs some learning on approching a blitz that others are fishing. On 3 occasions he bombed into the center of the action. What once was fish, leaping bait and diving birds, became just looking at the side of his boat!. "Crossing the T on us." Anyway, when one broke up it was a short search to find the next, a mile or so away.

jackduckhunter
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Jack where the heck were you? It was insane out there this morning!
Non stop blitz action from 6-9:30. The best I've seen this year. There was this one dude out there, who needs some learning on approching a blitz that others are fishing. On 3 occasions he bombed into the center of the action. What once was fish, leaping bait and diving birds, became just looking at the side of his boat!. "Crossing the T on us." Anyway, when one broke up it was a short search to find the next, a mile or so away.

Dang you're killin me!

We ran out of Winthrop to Spectacle and around it, found what I had said, sporadic action with birds, but big gulls, not terns , also found the same on the other side of the big bridge heading towards weymouth.

PS: Bring me along next time and I'll show you my super not so secret method of discouraging the idiots who run into schools like that.................

BillyD123
06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
PM me anytime you're thinking of heading out... You can come along anytime. Or set up a radio band connection. I'm at CCM in Winthrop. You drive right past there on the way to the launch.

Frankie G
06-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I'll be out there tomorrow am. Morning Wood or Frank on Ch. 68.

jackduckhunter
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
PM me anytime you're thinking of heading out... You can come along anytime. Or set up a radio band connection. I'm at CCM in Winthrop. You drive right past there on the way to the launch.

Sounds good.

Speaking of the ramp in Winthrop...........what's the deal with the $5 launch fee........Coming AND going!!?? All other ramps I use it's $5 for the day, and this a.m. the guy hit me up for $10. I suppose if you sink and drown out there you can consider it a $5 rebate??? (#$119)

ShaneY
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey sorry I missed your hail Jack I think I will have to get a new antenna the guy at monahans said that it's likely that the link inside is broken and I am getting half the distance I should.

Anyway now for the report,--127-3---127-3---127-3- No blitzes but we got some great fish livelining including one that jumped out of my hand while trying to boat that was definitely in the mid 50" range and about 50#:eek: biggest striper I have ever seen and it pulled off a whole lot of line. No pic to show for it as he slipped away but that image will be burned into my brain forever.

Also it's $7 for the back river ramp this year I think it was 5 last year.

jackduckhunter
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey sorry I missed your hail Jack I think I will have to get a new antenna the guy at monahans said that it's likely that the link inside is broken and I am getting half the distance I should.

Anyway now for the report,--127-3---127-3---127-3- No blitzes but we got some great fish livelining including one that jumped out of my hand while trying to boat that was definitely in the mid 50" range and about 50#:eek: biggest striper I have ever seen and it pulled off a whole lot of line. No pic to show for it as he slipped away but that image will be burned into my brain forever.

Very nice!!

On another note..........I seem to recall you having some questions/desires about flyfishing for trout? I'm into some unreal action lately and if you can promise to keep a secret and feel like taking a bit of a ride I'll let you in on it. All for the price of chipping in for gas and beer.........oh, and bugspray, the mosquitoes are legendary here......

gbabbitt117
06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I fished with Shane today. While no blitzes, we did pick up 6-8 30-36" fish, 1 41" pig and the 50+ inch behemoth Shane mentioned. The pics are Shane with the first 30" in the AM and me with the 41" shortly after. Both the size and quantity of bass we saw today were fantastic.

bostonfisher
06-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I was out there this morning too - hit the macks with Jack. Ended up getting three keepers on the Macks - largest was 38". Lots of fun on light tackle. We picked up a few fish in the birds early (one nice one) but it was surpsingly hard to get them to bite for some reason. Macks were the way to go. Jack thanks for the exta macks - they came in handy in the afternoon. The bite turned on again after you left that spot for while - figures :)

ShaneY
06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Jack the trout thing sounds cool, what kind of distance are we tailking about? I am going to the ausable in ny for the next week but will have internet. If it's a trip like that I may not be able to. I also sent out my resume to a job in georgia so we'll see.

Greg and I were talking about how cool it would be to get these monsters from the yak so I was thinking, with all you guys getting macks it would be cool if when I get back next sunday( the 14th from the ausable ny) someone could share some macks with me while I fished from the yak let me know if you're interested I will give up one of my mack spots in exchange.

JJB
06-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Sounds like yesterday morning was much better than the afternoon bite. Found the macs and was able to pick up a few small fish but certainly no 50-lbers.... I am going to try to get a couple of hours in this afternoon before the rain. If anyone is out there give me a shout. JB on 69

jackduckhunter
06-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I was out there this morning too - hit the macks with Jack. Ended up getting three keepers on the Macks - largest was 38". Lots of fun on light tackle. We picked up a few fish in the birds early (one nice one) but it was surpsingly hard to get them to bite for some reason. Macks were the way to go. Jack thanks for the exta macks - they came in handy in the afternoon. The bite turned on again after you left that spot for while - figures :)

No problem on the macks.......wouldn't of had them if you hadn't called me in in the first place!! Thanks!

Figures it turned on after we left but glad you got into them.

jackduckhunter
06-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Jack the trout thing sounds cool, what kind of distance are we tailking about? I am going to the ausable in ny for the next week but will have internet. If it's a trip like that I may not be able to. I also sent out my resume to a job in georgia so we'll see.

Greg and I were talking about how cool it would be to get these monsters from the yak so I was thinking, with all you guys getting macks it would be cool if when I get back next sunday( the 14th from the ausable ny) someone could share some macks with me while I fished from the yak let me know if you're interested I will give up one of my mack spots in exchange.

A little over an hour from Boston area.........

JJB
06-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Much better result this afternoon with fish to 40 inches. Hooked up on virtually every drift. The only thing that shut down the bite was the lack of any more live macs. Thanks again Jack for the intel on the macs as they are the ticket to the big fish. --126-3-

jackduckhunter
06-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Much better result this afternoon with fish to 40 inches. Hooked up on virtually every drift. The only thing that shut down the bite was the lack of any more live macs. Thanks again Jack for the intel on the macs as they are the ticket to the big fish. --126-3-

Nice!! --127-3-

ShaneY
06-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Jack, sounds good on the trout thing I will get back to you when I get back from NY.

JJB nice work on the big fish. I always feel like I will have too many macks and then I stop getting them and always seem to run out. I had to go back and get more on thurs.:rolleyes:

JJB
06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I thought I was going to have too many macs as well, but when you try a couple of spots with nothing and then find the fish and hook up on most drifts they go quick. I wish the weather was looking better for the week. May have to break out the oil skins to get out.

mdglaw
06-09-2009, 03:30 PM
They were charging 5 last year, and charged me 5 for my one use this year, but never coming and going. I would launch before they got there, and paid the 5 when I got back. This sounds very suspicious to me.

This year I decided due to "bargain rate" at Crystal Cove marina to berth the boat there and skip the trailering. This Saturday I had a blue welcome to Winthrop ticket on my boat. Turns out there is a 175.00 waterway fee which is due and payable, something the marina neglected to mention. Only a warning but this plus god knows what charge for excise (Marblehead $15) eats up my bargain, adds roughly 10 bucks a foot to my rate. Funny this wasn't mentioned.

Tryed to get my excise sticker today but needed my registration which was locked on boat (no boat key) add 1.5 hours of wasted time to that bill. I figured since i had my Marblehead excise bill with vin and reg numbers this would suffice, nope.

mdglaw
06-10-2009, 10:43 AM
went back today, worse than I thought waterway fee is 225 and no fish guarantee.

PAX
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Launched out of Winthrop last Sunday. It is $5 to use the ramp. You don't have to pay to get in and then to get out. It's $5 for both.

We found a ton of macs in no time but never found the big fish despite hiting several usual good spots. --124-3

mendy
06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
They were charging 5 last year, and charged me 5 for my one use this year, but never coming and going. I would launch before they got there, and paid the 5 when I got back. This sounds very suspicious to me.

This year I decided due to "bargain rate" at Crystal Cove marina to berth the boat there and skip the trailering. This Saturday I had a blue welcome to Winthrop ticket on my boat. Turns out there is a 175.00 waterway fee which is due and payable, something the marina neglected to mention. Only a warning but this plus god knows what charge for excise (Marblehead $15) eats up my bargain, adds roughly 10 bucks a foot to my rate. Funny this wasn't mentioned.

Tryed to get my excise sticker today but needed my registration which was locked on boat (no boat key) add 1.5 hours of wasted time to that bill. I figured since i had my Marblehead excise bill with vin and reg numbers this would suffice, nope.

Gotta watch'em at Crystal Cove. It's not often that you get what you pay for. How's the condition of their ramp these days?

BillyD123
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm at Crystal Cove as well & for the same reasons. They did mention the Town fee to me. Probably, because I came from NH and didn't know the local drill.
BTW... If it's not paid by Thu. the warning becomes a ticket & Winthrop tacks on a $50.00 fine.
Any-hoo. The fishing was pretty good last week, lots top water action, birds on bait for us fly fishermen to spot. Then it died off over night. Sat-Sun &Mon mornings where uneventful for the most part.
What happened to the fish?

bostonfisher
06-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I'll be out there again on Saturday. My plan is to work birds in the morning and then go for macks. Hopefully the fishing is still good.

eatfish
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Headed out on Saturday as well. I don't usually fish the Haba but a friend asked me to go along on his brothers boat. These guys don't fish the salt, this will be new to them. Anyway, I was hoping to get some macks by the outer islands and liveline them? Work the birds if we see them.

Am I on the right track without giving up too much?

Any help via PM would be greatly appreciated. Be nice to get these guys their first stripers. Thanks.

Mike

--username-deleted--
06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Am I on the right track without giving up too much?

Yes.

If no one hits you back via PM, I'll point you in the right direction*.

L

*I haven't fished the hahbah this year yet, but many spots are good year after year.

UnaPezMas
06-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Last night- There was some birds that started working just east of the aiport in the outer harbor. They were miles from where I was on shore, and they were not super active.

They were high in the air, but definitly on something, with some dives to pick up off the surface. I assumed it was macks, but I have no idea. One grady white cuddy came in to check it out, but they were still pretty spread out (the birds). did not spend too much time, then headed for the barn.

I have no idea what they were, but there was activity.

6" white sluggo accounted for a couple of strikes from shore last night/eveing - before dark. lots of work though, to find the active feeding fish.

mendy
06-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm at Crystal Cove as well & for the same reasons. They did mention the Town fee to me. Probably, because I came from NH and didn't know the local drill.
BTW... If it's not paid by Thu. the warning becomes a ticket & Winthrop tacks on a $50.00 fine.
Any-hoo. The fishing was pretty good last week, lots top water action, birds on bait for us fly fishermen to spot. Then it died off over night. Sat-Sun &Mon mornings where uneventful for the most part.
What happened to the fish?

the full moon.

mdglaw
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
if by ramp you mean the spot where the seawall collapsed leaving a steep hillside covered in crumbling asphalt, to the harbor, I did not try it or even know it was there until after I had launched at the regular parking lot ramp. I did watch a guy pull out a boat on it, with some question as to whether he was pulling the boat out or the boat was pulling his truck in.

I might pull out on it if I had high tide, my boat is light, and my tow vehicle is all wheel drive.

Mike

Slappy
06-11-2009, 03:19 PM
the full moon.

Even in the dark on Sunday morning the bite was slow.

hydroTechNoCrat
06-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Flew into Boston yesterday around 6:00 pm. Lots of birds inside pleasure bay. Looked like good action for the shore guys.

BillyD123
06-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Hi fellas.
My boy is coming down from NH and we'll be on the water in Winthrop by 6am Sat morn.
I'll do the usual recon with him around the inner islands as I have been doing. The past week has been a bummer, and I'd like to have him see a striper blitz if possible. So, I'm not asking to burn anyones spots but. If anyone has some knowledge of where they've been showing up on the surface, let me know here, or by pm. If it's barron around those islands like the past week, I'm wondering if I should head out towards Graves Light area or down south of Hull?
Any ideas?