PDA

View Full Version : very good sign

north coast
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Ok, you may not believe this, But it's Absolutely true. I was groundfishing today.(the groundfishing sucked ,by the way)
I was on anchor,and if a car were driving on Bakers Island I would have been able to make out the wheels. Flat calm, no one else around and very quiet. A slapping sound got my attention ,and my friggen jaw dropped when 50 ft off my bow. there are at least 30 tuna! out of the water busting the hell out of the mackeral! I got a VERY good look at these fish and they were nowhere near the size everyone else is seeing this year. I've seen one hell of a lot of tuna in my days and my best guess is these were 50- 80 lb fish. a lot of them. I was getting worried that that one year class we've been chasing for years was it.

I'm very excited to see fish this size. There may be a future casting to managable sized tuna after all. I can only hope there were /are far more than I saw.
Very cool to see them that close again.

Brad G.
06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Thats great news. Were you on the bank or elsewhere?? Did you get a cast into them?

Frankie G
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I saw the exact same thing when I was out yesterday. Some large's mixed in, but tons of smaller fish as well. Certainly a good sign.

Soundking
06-08-2009, 01:05 PM
That is truely an awesome sign. I feel like I have been hit by a bus today, and the prospect of catching fun ones is wonderful.

striperblues
06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
That would be awesome. Two years ago was the best fly fishing tuna...50 - 80 pound fish often on the surface feeds !!

Me and a friend went 1 for 3 on fly this past weekend on the 70 inch versions and it was very tough...we switched to heavy spinning gear after #3....epic time.

Where were these fish located...generally speaking?

Onshore
06-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Do you really want, or need more information than northcoast gave you in his second sentence ?

striperblues
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Do you really want, or need more information than northcoast gave you in his second sentence ?

I agree. I just never heard of Baker's Island. Could be code for some UDL :p

ken70ss396
06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Those mackeral have been there for over two weeks now ! Northcoast thanks for the info. We were there Sat. fishing for the macs in the swells. Did you notice the large schools of macs all in the 8-10 inch size,unreal.Could have filled the boat,but we were in need of just enough for live lining. Two weeks ago they were all larger macs.This is a very good sign.

--username-deleted--
06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Fantastic news. Thanks for the intel, K.

porkslice
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Very cool!

z-drive
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
a few weeks back i was fishing the same area as northcoast, he was out there one of the days too--- but there were massive schools of sandeels in there as well. massive i tell ya. whales in 40' of water probably within the same range he's talking. perhaps they stick around.... i do alot of bass fishing in that area :brow

maybe they'll come in and chow on the school of macks a couple miles farther west.

north coast
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
That would be awesome. Two years ago was the best fly fishing tuna...50 - 80 pound fish often on the surface feeds !!

Me and a friend went 1 for 3 on fly this past weekend on the 70 inch versions and it was very tough...we switched to heavy spinning gear after #3....epic time.

I don't mind telling you all where they were.
Anybody from around this area already knows where I mean. For anyone else interested:
I could look in/up and see the mouth of Gloucester harbor.
I could also look straight west and see the Salem power plant.
I could look southwest and see Boston. that should give you a very general area.
I'd be a little cautious about running right up there though. I saw them once right off my bow like crazy,then again ,very briefly, about a quarter mile north and that's it. I was there for about three hours after that and never saw them again.

I've seen them breeze through inshore several times over the years ,at this time of year, they don't usually hang around. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some more reports of people seeing them inshore,but my guess is they'd probably be pretty tough to target. Right time right place kind of thing.
Who knows though, once you think you've figured something out ,they change the rules. That's one of the things that make them such a great fish.

z-drive
06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
i think we'd rather keep it this way, but its a super-unfished area for most species. i know i can go out in the general area tomorrow and catch almost any groundfish, striper, blues when theyre in, and i guess even now have a shot at a toooner. i also doubt they will hang around. maybe in the fall.

why didn't yout toss a jig their way...one of those senators coulda done the trick --127-3-

SageBoy
06-11-2009, 06:15 AM
As a follow up to this post I covered some ground yesterday and was very pleased to find small fish as well. When I say small I'm saying 50-60lb fish and 1 pod that was smaller which was great to see. Lets hope there are more on the way.