PDA

View Full Version : brewster flats guide

bigcamel33
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
thinking about hiring a guide for a trip this friday, anyone have any recs on a fly fishing oriented flats guide? would booking a wading trip be a bad call? i'll have access to a yak where i'm staying in brewster, but total novice on fishing the area, and fishing from a yak

thanks

swstandring
06-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I enjoyed a Barnstable / Brewster trip with Capt Dave Peros a few years back. Would not hesitate to fish with him again.

justin080799
06-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Dave is a great guide with a 18 or 20 skiff that can get into skinny water, can work with fly or light tackel and has been at it for a long time, knows the water real well.

He is very reasonable in price also. I have been trading e-mail try to setup a day to get out with him.

http://www.captdaveperos.com/

Rob

hal11
06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I would easily recommend Jon for a light tackle Brewster area trip. Have been with him many times and always done well for topwater stripers and blues. 508-454-7272. He had a segment on a Cabelas show a couple of years back. If you call him say Hal recommended him. Last year he ran his trips out of Sesuit.

dlangan
06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
No doubt the guides mentioned are great! I have certainly heard there names in enough places. A question to consider - are you looking to learn the area so you can fish on your own (wade/yak) or from a boat? If you are looking to learn to fish wade/yak on your own, you may want to discuss that as one of your objectives with your guide. Even if you are in a boat, if the guide knows your interest he'll likely throw you some pointers on access points, fising spots, and tides.

Good luck! Nice tide Friday!!! Hoping for good viewing weather

bigcamel33
06-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys - Peros is booked, so I'll check in with Hyde. I wish this was about learning to fish there on my own, but I only get to the cape about once a year now...a shame

Should finding a guide not work out, general thoughts on whether the flats fish better on the ebb or flow?

bucko
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I've waded and fly fished the Brewster Flats 7 or 8 times the last couple of years. When I first went there I posted on Reel time to get advice and it helped so you may want to do a "Search" here.

Personally, the incoming has been better for me. Also the outer bars seem to hold the most fish as the tide starts to move in. This can be dangerous since your 1/2 mile plus off shore and the tide comes in fast. Also some of the deepest water is close to shore. Bring a compass, I understand fog can be a issue but I've never encountered it. Read some of the Randy Jones post for safety precautions.

At high tide I'm told the fish can be close to shore in the channels.

bigcamel33
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
turns out i'm armed with a borrowed kayak, so i should be able to hang at the outer bar (which i assume is obvious) a bit longer than i could if i were on foot

bluewatr
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
You better start praying for some darn sun!!! You won't be able to see sh!t without it!

swstandring
06-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I agree with most of what you are hearing. Fish the incomming from close to dead low on, drift in with the tide as best you can without getting beached. (Even if you do, no biggie, wait 15 minutes and you'll have an extra 6" of water under you.) On the incomming the fish tend to be more bunched up as they also drift in with the tide and they stay in the deeper troughs. Once the water gets close to top of teh tide, they can be anywhere. I actually do better at high tide by just letting the birds show me where they are, especially with the complete lack of sun we have had lately. I usually start getting off the flats (especially Brewster as the outermost bar is pretty shallow) about 2 hours after the high to avoud getting beached on the outgoing.

BTW: When I hired Capt. Peros it was specifically to teach me how to safely navigate the area as much as to catch fish. He ran me all over Barnstable Harbor / Chapin flats / Brewster flats on both high and low tides to show me how dramatically the area changes with the tides and how to get around safely.

Nothing but good things to say about him.

28conquest
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I have one of the outboard boats that sits exposed on the beach at low tide. Just to reiterate what others have said: bring a compass and be careful. The tide swing is 10 feet and fog can roll in quickly. Even in a kayak you don't want to end up 1/2 way to Provincetown before you figure out which direction you meant to be going.

There are not a lot of great landmarks on shore either - it all looks pretty much the same from Orleans all the way to Dennis, especially in the dark. If visibility is decent, there are some big water tanks that you can line up on. Also watch out for the motor boats - most will not expect to see a kayak a mile out from shore. If I were doing it, I'd bring one of those little pocket-size air horns and keep it handy.

wheels36
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Try going to fishing the cape in east harwich. There is a guy there that knows brewster flats very well, his name is Chris. If he cant take you he can point you in the right direction.

Quicksilver
06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
I just replied to your PM. Good luck and be safe.

bigcamel33
06-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Quick - no sign of that PM, if easy pls resend, if not, no worries. Ended up booking a wading trip with Garrett from Goose Hummock

thanks for all the advice and cautionary tales here gents

MarkZ
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm thinking of renting a house for a week in Brewster. Can you guys tell me what beach or beaches I should be near if I'd like to walk down? Paines Creek? Thx.

PS: Is it warm enough to wet wade there yet? Probably not...

fabrahamson
06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd look for something near Paines or Saints Landing/Rollins Beach.

I usually start wet wading the area by the third week in June. A little cool this year but I'd say it's about time now to shed the waders.

bigcamel33
06-30-2009, 01:59 PM
thanks to all for the assistance here -- i ended up hiring a wading guide from goose hummock (garrett) last Friday AM. Not a great tide (8:40AM low), but we hoofed it out there, saw cloud after cloud of sand eels, heard two fish, and neither spotted nor hooked any. A bummer for sure, but glad i was able to do my first fishing of the season (nyc is killing me). as i was in brewster for a bachelor party, i was never able to squeeze any real fishing time in after that.

thanks again gents - another day, i guess...