PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Franconia

Eddy Merckx
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Heading to NH next week, staying near Lincoln. Thinking of taking a day away from the in-laws to fish, maybe one of the semi-remote ponds like Greeley, Black, or Sawyer. Anyone got any advice?

Pemi or Swift are possibilities too.

FlyFishFrostie
06-25-2009, 08:21 PM
My recollection is that the Pemi and Swift get decent stockings just prior to July 4, but otherwise they haven't fished well for me in the past at this time, so those would not be my first choices now.

However, Profile Lake just under where the Old Man In the Mountain used to be can be very good for most of NH's trout fishing season. Plus, it's very wadable. Just park in the visitors lot across the highway from the lake, suit up, and cross the road to the lake.

Early AM and late afternoon usually see a great hatch of black caddis, about #16 or #18. If I was headed up there at about this time, I'd try that first. Wait til you see rises during those low-light times, then wade in and start casting in front of the rises, and let the fly sit there for 30 seconds or so, then pick up gently and cast in front of another rise. These fish are cruising, as they do in most stillwaters, so try to figure out which way they're swimming, and lead them by at least 5-6 feet.

Good luck!

FlyFishFrostie
06-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow, next week is right before July 4, so let me qualify that recommendation.

After, July 1 the Pemi can be fantastic under a certain bridge that crosses it about 10-15 minutes south of the Kangamangus (spelling?). Find the exact location on an internet map service.

Tie on a 14-16 Adams and let fly upstream under the bridge, keeping a drag-free drift. Use 5X or lighter tippet, and have fun!:)

Don't let all of the meat fishemen there deter you, however if you are a meat fisherman, please disregard all of these suggestions.;) This is a put and take fishery, so keep whatever you want and is allowed.

Also, try Profile Lake.

Eddy Merckx
07-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Frostie, both your suggestions were spot on. Profile now has a slot limit, fish 12" - 16" have to be released. Glad to say I was forced into freeing a few 14" brookies. Also fished the Pemi along 175, hit a bunch of spots but the steel bridge and just downstream were most productive. Had to time my casts to avoid the kids jumping off the bridge at times. (#$119)

Lousy week for vacation weatherwise, but the few times I got out the fish cooperated.