PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on first flies for Hingham/Boston harbor?

Double Hall
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Finally picked up a new rod and reel (Colton, based on all the great things I read on this forum), and looking to head out on the water this weekend.

I need a first few flies to get started, I will probably attempt to tie some of my own this winter. What should I get started with, in mid August? Most fishing will be done from a boat. Looking for Stripers and maybe a few Blues.

Thanks,
Hall

flynny
08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I was out in Hingham/Hull Gut yesterday morning, and there are the typical silversides et al around, but also TONS (i mean I saw acres and acres) of sea herring around. Pogies are also starting to show more consistently. Hope this helps - to match the hatch with your flies.

Double Hall
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I was out in Hingham/Hull Gut yesterday morning, and there are the typical silversides et al around, but also TONS (i mean I saw acres and acres) of sea herring around. Pogies are also starting to show more consistently. Hope this helps - to match the hatch with your flies.

Thanks, I've been seeing a LOT of herring all summer. I think they are River Herring, (illegal to use as bait), but not sure. If they are Sea Herring, I'd take them as bait too.

What is a close match to Herring in fly form?

jackduckhunter
08-18-2009, 07:10 PM

See any fish along with the bait? I have a friend coming down to fish Thursday and was leaning towards putting in at Weymouth and heading into the harbor......thoughts?

JakeFF
08-19-2009, 06:14 AM
I would try some decievers ( blue white) ( 4 inch)....and clousers (try different combinations of color) to get you started..easy to tie as well.

Double Hall
08-19-2009, 02:09 PM
See any fish along with the bait? I have a friend coming down to fish Thursday and was leaning towards putting in at Weymouth and heading into the harbor......thoughts?

The rod came today at lunch time, which figures. I was out on the water and caught a monster 39" striper on a plug. Hope to do the same, but on a fly this weekend.