PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Treble Hooks

Gadabout Guinea
08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I usually replace one or both treble hooks on my lures. To get a good action, I add a split ring in order to get the plane of the hook in line with the lure body. I haven't settled on what is the best type of hook to use yet and have played around with long shaft bait hooks, or O'Shaughnessy hooks. I'm wondering what other folks are using? I also wonder if there is a hook with an eye perpendicular to the normal orientation such that the eye is in the plane of the hook? With a hook like that I could go with one split ring to attach to the lure instead of two. (If there isn't I just invented it so I have dibs on the idea! :brow)

Chris

tsheehy
08-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Chris,

Another option would be to use an O'Shaughnasey style hook but with an open eye. I guess it depends on which way the loops on the lure are rigged though.

-- Tom

Gadabout Guinea
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not familiar with the open eye style. I did a search and found Mustad makes a "jig hook" with the eye in the plane of the hook. The shaft is bent at 45 degree angle right before the eye though. I may get a few and see how they move on a lure. Makes me think if Mustad has one, there should be some other variations.

chris

tsheehy
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Chris,

Its just a regular hook, but instead of the eye of the hook being closed off, it is left open. So you attach it to whatever, then use a pair of pliers to close it up.

http://www.ownerhooks.com/images/products/hooks/specialtyhooks/Siwash.jpg

-- Tom

hatidua
09-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Get some Decoy hooks (Japanese). Costly, but as good as it gets.