PDA

View Full Version : abrasion-resistant braid

Tin Boat
08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I have been losing bass in the rocks when my 65# Power Pro is cut like a knife slicing through butter.

Is there a better brand than Power Pro for abrasion resistance? What's recommended out there?

At this point I'm tempted to go back to mono.

Thanks for your input.

Tin Boat

ag1
08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I had line break problems with PowerPro 20#. I tried Fireline Braid this year and have been very pleased with it.

Mag Minnow
08-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Are you using a leader with the braid?

eastcoast617
08-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Use Jerry Brown. Its a little more expensive but so much better than Power Pro.

bdowning
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
If I had to tie direct, I'd use something a little more abrasion resistant like Big Game Braid, but generally I use a hard mono leader of at least 3 feet. Many guys tie braid direct and have no issues to speak of, so it's more a matter of what you are comfortable with.

-bd

north coast
08-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I find that I don't need braid for the bass fishing that I do. I use 40 lb momoi mono. of coarse, I'm also breaking off a lot of fish, but not the momoi. I break the 30 lb fluoro leader a lot. I've tried several brands. all are seeing some breakage.I got a spool of oddball seaguar on ebay,from Japan ,Red spool ,said 30+ on the spool and a bunch of stuff that I can't understand, in japaneese. It seems to be breaking far less than the others. wish I could find another spool of the stuff.
I think that when your fishing tight to the rocks your going to lose a percentage no matter what you do. the big girls seem to know that those rocks are going to set them free.;)

wasabi
08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Is there are reason to NOT use a little piece of leader material?

bdowning
08-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Nope, just use a good knot. ;) If you are using a barrel swivel, I have yet to see a standard Uni knot pull out on braid. if you are splicing leader to braid (no hardware), use a back to back uni or an albright with at least 10-15 wraps.

-bd

Kuskus68
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I use 30lb diawa braid thinner than suffix 20Lb!!! I use a 40 lb mono or fluoro leader with back to back uni If tied right they never fail.

BigK
08-31-2009, 02:18 PM
From shore nothin will help cuz too many rocks.

Slappy
08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Good point BigK, but I'm betting the guy is fishing from a boat, a tin boat.

I'm curious to know how big these fish are that are going in to the rocks with 65# line. Sounds like some serious cows?

RJ
08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Power Pro is inconsistent. I switched to suffix for 50 and 65# applications and crystal fireline for 20, 10 and 8# lite tackle use. Never had a problem.

Bob,

I use the alberto knot to knot and knot to swivel.

grego
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
For my light tackle Striper Spin outfit, I have been using 30# Spiderwire Stealth now for three seasons. I tie a very small perfection loop in the briad, then I tie on ~3' of 25# Floro leader material with an improved clinch. I have not had this setup fail, not even once.

I will say that the spyder can tangle. I have found that after you close the bail, you need to take a quick look down and make sure that you have not SET in a loop when the bail closed. If you do this & don't notice it, the next cast is a bird's nest horror show!

gcw
08-31-2009, 05:13 PM
check the roller on the bail of the reel - make sure there's no rust or scratches on it and that it's rolling well.

sounds obvious, but can be a problem.

Ditch Jigger
08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Almost every other braid out there is better than Power Pro :brow

I use Berkley Big Game braid in the Canal and have been very pleased with its abrasion resistance.

Joey Langan
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
I love suffix but recently switched to this newer silk braid stuff. Its as smooth as mono, way thinner than suffix or powerpro for the # test, and just over all really sweet. Haven't had it long at all but have yet to have an issue.
Joe

A-Frayed-Knot
09-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Joey, what's the brand name on the "newer silk braid" you mention?

Joey Langan
09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Funny story about that. I actually have no idea. I decided to get new line on one of my reels and my Dad said he was going out and would be near Riverview Bait and Tackle so he would get it filled for me. Well I told him to get suffix but while he was there the people told him that this new stuff was better and the same price so he just assumed I would want that. So he came back with this new stuff and being a hardcore fly guy, didn't pay attention to the brand or anything. Sorry but I'll let you know when I find out.
This is what happens when you send a fly fishermen into a tackle shop. ;)
Joe

Tin Boat
09-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the input. It seems that Berkley Big Game braid, Suffix and Fireline are recommended over Power Pro. I'll try one of them.

I use a four foot leader of 50 or 60 pound mono tied to the braid with a loop-to-loop knot, which is easy to tie and has never failed me on either conventional or fly connections. It's the braid that gets cut, not the leader.

The bass that have cut me off in the rocks seemed seriously big, but the ones that get away always do ...

albacized
09-02-2009, 07:27 AM
I like both Spiderwire Stealth as well as Suffix...the only reason I'd give a slight edge to Suffix is because I find that Stealth needs a little breaking in before it starts performing the way I like.

Btw, I've had good luck with Fireline Crystal in the lighters lb class (as in 10 lb test) loaded on a Cabo 20 spinning reel (even took some nice jacks and an albie on a recent trip to FL)...But one thing I didn't realize until I later inquired was that Crystal is a lot thicker than other braids of the same lb test. Redtop gave me a little demo of how that line would spring off a Cabo 40 size spool.

***Edit, I should add that on another site, someone did some testing to show that Suffix breaks at a lower lb test than advertised. But I never had a problem using the 20 lb test and catching bass up to 25 lbs, larger bluefish and albies - absolutely no mystery break offs like I had with Power Pro

bdowning
09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I used to use Stealth a lot, but had a lot of problems with it sticking to itself on the reel, inhibiting casts. I switched to Big Game Braid and have had no problems since (except those due to operator error! (#$119)). One thing to be very careful of with some spinning reels is putting too much braid on the reel. No matter how carefully you cast in that situation, the braid will have a tendency to form loops outside the spool and, worse, tangles. Deliberately "underlining" the spool by an 1/8 to 1/4 " from the rim solves the problem. Some spinning reels are more tolerant of overlining than others.

I bought some Suffix to try out the next time I replace the braid. Like to try out different brands, just to see how they perform.

-bd

JohnnyR
09-02-2009, 01:16 PM
spiderwire stealth, been using it since it came out. before that i used fireline. there might be something better but i'm used to the quirks of spiderwire and i catch plenty of fish so why change...