PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ghost ride hypo

--username-deleted--
09-06-2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=48e_1252205911

So, you know it's your buddy's boat. Do you attempt to jump on board and power down before it rides the jetty, or just let her speed on in? Other?

I'm no hero, but I might have, especially so were that boat headed into a busy marina or swimming area. That'd be a hard thing--for me--to live with if, say, some kid were killed and I'd not tried to stop it. But then, I could have used my roscoe to knock out the engine, too. See, kids? Guns are TOOLS! :)

ppatricelli
09-07-2009, 10:13 AM
All hypothetical, of course.

At first the boat was really honking along. Not much you could do at that speed in those waves without risking your life or boat.

But, hard to be sure from the video, it appears toward the end that the throttle had backed off and the boat was going much slower, barely on plane. Under those conditions a boarding on the fly OR coming up next to the boat and deflecting it's course might have been possible.

Makes an awfully good case for a dead-man's-throttle. Heck, my riding lawn mower shuts off if I lift off the seat. Given today's technology and lawsuit-consciousness, really no excuse for this to happen.

So.....what were those geniuses doing that they were thrown off the boat at high speed??? They're YOUR friends!

riptide
09-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Great thing about a Contender, is that hit can be buffed out and the boat fished the next day ;)

browndog
09-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Not much that could be done safely. The prefered method of stopping a run away boat is to string a rope in front of it to foul the prop. Usually it's done with a boat that's circling, it would be difficult with a boat running at that speed. At least the guys in the chase boat seemed to enjoy it.

spooled
09-07-2009, 01:31 PM
i witnessed the same thing about a month ago on the cape except the wheel was locked to one side. the fire rescue eventually boarded the small runaway skiff in a zodiac.