PDA

View Full Version : Montauk, 10/4-6/09

JGH
10-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Very slow again. Some albies early, but up-and-down extremely fast and almost impossible on the fly while also running the boat. No bass blitzes.

Extremly odd fall. I've spoken to guys who've fished Montauk far longer than I have and no one really understands what's going on. After last year's daily epic bass blitzes, this abrupt stop is kind of alarming.

The 6-pack boats at my dock are stacking up the 40+" bass like cordwood.

browndog
10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't have an answer for you, other that everything runs in cycles. On this side of the sound we're having the best albie fishing in 4-5 years.

mctrout
10-07-2009, 11:01 AM
What is the water temp over there Steve? we are still about 65-64. Seems very high to me

HudsonYakRat
10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
What is the water temp over there Steve? we are still about 65-64. Seems very high to me

Nailed 9 in 4hrs Tues morning right off of Coney--126-3-. Taking the fly better than tins.

Sorry B. Should have stayed home this year.;)

Captcastafly
10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
The reason is simple:

Federal migratating species are not allowed to enter local waters without a state license. --127-3-

cck1808
10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Think we saw you out there JGH, my cousin and I fished with Jim Levison on Sunday and Monday.
Sloooow goings that is for sure - hope things turn around out there for you guys.....

JGH
10-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah, that was me. Heading back out for tomorrow with my fingers crossed....

Albieaddicted
10-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Extremly odd fall. I've spoken to guys who've fished Montauk far longer than I have and no one really understands what's going on. After last year's daily epic bass blitzes, this abrupt stop is kind of alarming.

I've been thinking about the same thing, JGH. For the past 2 years, a spot in Shinnecock that has always been good to me for both numbers of fish and big fish has been gradually drying up. I just got back and felt lucky to have gotten into one keeper of 29", but this is a spot that 3 years ago, starting this week in October, was good for at least 10 fish a night on any dropping tide. And bait is here, so it's not like there's nothing for dinner...

The water is warm, though and I'm sure I'll get a couple nights this month where things will be good, but it does make me think... :confused: