PDA

View Full Version : when do you hang it up for the season and why?

JohnnyR
10-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I just had a fantastic evening from the kayak in Boston Harbor. I usually slow my fishing way down towards the end of October, however I love heading down to Pt. Judith to catch a few bass usually a about a week or two before thanksgiving.

Some of my best fishing has been driving down to the Narragansett area in early November...

I hang it up after Thanksgiving mostly because the days are so short and decent fish are a long drive away...

How about you guys?

John

albacized
10-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Depends on how you mean that. I generally give up for the season around the same time as you (also with some trips to RI)...However, thoughout the winter, I give the holdover game a try roughly about a half dozen times...and if I find a good supply of them in a given area, I might fish them about as hard as I would if it were the 'regular' fishing season:-)

BobG
10-12-2009, 11:43 PM
I always hang it up on the first Saturday after Columbus Day.:brow In other words, the first day of bird hunting season.:brow:brow:brow:brow:brow

SteepBank
10-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Around thanksgiving depending on how the season is going

mxer
10-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Christmas, (except for holdovers)

bdowning
10-13-2009, 07:09 AM
When most of the bigger fish leave or I get just plain burned out from a combo of work/late fishing nights. Usually by Thanksgiving most years. Rarely, I'll fish RI into early December. The fish are around in one form or another all year, but I like to give them and especially myself a rest in winter. :brow

-bd

bucko
10-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Last year fly fishing from shore I caught five small bass on a beach in Sandwich on December 2. I'll fish until about that time this year. It depends on how cold it gets. Some of my best days have been in November. The fish are small but sometime plentiful.

bostonfisher
10-13-2009, 07:58 AM
I usually hang it up when my marina tells me to get my boat out of the water which is this coming Saturday :(

Slappy
10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
At the end of the season, I'm much less willing to chase after fish. October is when I usually end my migratory bass season and start to focus on local fishing. Every fall and winter I'm reminded of how much fun freshwater fishing can be. Every summer I don't seem to miss the freshwater fishing. :rolleyes:

It pays to have a short memory.

Dumpcast
10-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Fishing from boat typically ends for me around Columbus Day, as it did yesterday when I hauled out for the season, but fishing from kayak or surf could go on for a month or more. By then, the fingers start turning blue, and thoughts turn to skiing.

Fish Farmer
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I'll put away the fly rod, but the season doesn't so much end, it just changes.
Move from salt to fresh and turn from fly to spin and then on to tip ups. A quick break for syrup season then the whole thing starts all over again.:-%

ruge13
10-13-2009, 04:48 PM
For me the past few seasons have become a matter of circumstance...

In past years I fished through November moving further and further south. I stopped in CT. Sleeping in the ramp parking lots down there got old on a drive down from Boston at 2am. (#$113)

A couple years ago my season ended when my significant other decided she was tired of the Ocean being the other woman. (#$116) That was about the end of August and I missed a good fall run because fishing was the enemy.

The past few seasons I stopped when I was so far in debt that deciding between gas money to fish vs. food decisions started to go the way of gas money. That was usually about the end of October/early November. :-%

Last year I stopped because of a girl again at the end of Sept. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson:p

This year its still going with no sign of quitting and the girl is still around despite my constant attempts to chase her away via vida de fish. Maybe she has another guy:rolleyes:.... I don't know but at least I'm fishing with no issues :brow Of course, I'm kidding....

During the winter I go back to being a weekend warrior. I ice fish, go to shows, prep gear, reorganize, re-hook, break down reels, clean gear, build rods, repair rods, turn plugs, tie flies, etc. so does it really ever end? It takes all winter to build the budget back up again.

hyefisherman2
10-13-2009, 07:14 PM
a combination of school and parents bring my striper fishing season to a hault.... --124-3

damn parents!

browndog
10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
My last trip is on 10/25. Yesterday morning the boat was coated with frost. I look forward to the start of the season and I look forward to the end of the season.

Wayne Walts
10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Pulled the plug last weekend in cape cod, a little early. I have to get ready for two weeks of bonefishing in Andros. It is the best reason to end the cape season.

CMP
10-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Plug pulled on the Cape, and will be plugged in for the Keys in mid-November when the boat arrives there...

CMP

DAQ
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I usually slow way down around the second or third week of November. I never really call it quits but I am pretty burnt after the fall run.

Onshore
10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
I've been a fisherman for nearly 65 of my 74 years. Most of that time I lived on the North Shore of Mass., southern New Hampshire or Cape Cod.

I never "hung it up" as far as fishing went. I've caught Stripers in Gloucester Harbor on Christmas Day. Fly fished for Trout in the Pemigewasset River, for Searun Browns in Scorton Creek and other Cape Cod streams in January or February. Traveled to New York for Steelhead or Connecticut for Searuns in March and usually took a trip south to fish Texas, Florida or Louisiana(sp) in dead of Winter.

Liveing near the water, I always found myself searching it for signs of fish even when I was on the way to work or, out to dinner with my family. Now that I'm retired; I do it even more and, I almost always have a rod and reel rigged and in reach.

Bob Parsons
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
I'll look for stripers into November. If the cold makes starting the motor a hassle, I'll drive the beach looking for fish. Then maybe some freshwater bass until the ice sets in. Once the ice leaves, I'll be looking for the right conditions to try to find a few holdovers in march. Then maybe a bit of trout fish. Gosh it just never ends.

BobG
10-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I am planning on hitting the Swift in Belchertown this winter on nice days (should we have any).

bb1
10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
The next coupe week will be it for stripers with me, I rarely go down to RI for tuna & stripers any more....then it will be lakers @ Wachusett till the day they close, I rarely fish for stocked trout @ Quinsig or Comet any more either. But there is always the chance of the Salmon River....--125-3

Kal9weight
10-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Tomorrow at 6:26am, Duck season is in.

RIBill
10-16-2009, 02:12 PM
the combination of cold, a couple of skunkings, and the exhaustion of my wife's patience the first week of Dec usually spells the end of the salt for me. Like many have said here, and as the wife says: the fishing never ends...

S. Ruge: I got a sort of prenuptial: "fishing came first" (great book by John Cole by the way). also, I'll sometimes remind my wife: "I could be at Foxwoods or the Foxy Lady... instead, I just want to do a little harmless fishing...." :)

Slappy
10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
the exhaustion of my wife's patience

Well said, I think many of us know what you are talking about. My wife reminded me that she was my wife the other day...:rolleyes:

Nelly
10-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Well said, I think many of us know what you are talking about. My wife reminded me that she was my wife the other day...:rolleyes:

fishing induced abstinence probably ends more fishing seasons than we'd collectively like to admit.....when the abstinence is combined with intense sarcasm about your membership in the family, or other verbal warnings, it's time to hang it up.