PDA

View Full Version : The Year End Reprt

bonefishdick
11-14-2009, 11:29 PM
The first 3 lines from the article read "Its getting down to the bitter end for saltwater action in Southern New England. Were close to closing our log books on another season."

I will have to say so far it has been a bitter end or at least it seems that way up to now. Granted the season for me is not over yet but for November it has been tough sledding.

Last year through October I caught 1280 Stripers and this year I caught 1435, meaning I caught 155 more through the same time period.

In November of last year I caught 207 for a total of 1487 and in November of this year up to now I have only taken 38 for a total of 1473.

That being said I only need 14 more to equal last years mark. I think getting the 14 fish is going to be a struggle. Combined with the lack of fish in November and the Nasty weather it will be a toss-up.

I guess when you go into November with a 155 fish lead over last year and knowing you caught over 200 the previous November you just don't expect the year to to end this way.

I can't remember who said "I wish there were two Octobers and two Novembers" and I could not have agreed more but things have changed. I miss the good old days and the sad part is the good old days were not that long ago, as a matter of fact a very short time ago..

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think I'm tooting my own horn with the numbers, this is about a much bigger picture and it's getting scary out there.

Curious to see if others have experienced the same this November compared to previous years.

Duke of Fluke
11-15-2009, 05:24 AM
nobody counts.

BobG
11-15-2009, 06:05 AM
:confused:

summer salt
11-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Maybe we'll get em tomorrow--127-3- Talk to you tonight.
Bucko, are you going tomorrow?

Fitzy
11-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I'd say my numbers are down from last year for 2 reasons. First reson is I didn't have much time in October to fish- not many trips to the canal for me, but when I went, I did get my personal average number of fish/ outing. The second reason is I mainly targeted large fish meaning over 20lbs during the fall. While I only landed a handful, I found it much more rewarding than going out and banging on schoolies. I'd say I hooked up to maybe 15-20 fish over 20lbs in the 7 outings targeting big fish, but my landing ratio was pitiful. There were maybe 4 big fish that that were landed; the lost fish were due to a couple of reasons- some due to hardware issues (open split rings really stink), some due to spit hooks and three that stand out were angler errors. I never got my 40lb fish this year (hooked a couple), but that gives me something to shoot for next year. Aside from the trips to the canal all of my fishing was during the day. There's nothing like watching those big fish eat:eek:. The good news is I did a lot more exploring than previous years and now I think I'll know where to find some cows in the spring.

enjoy the off season as best you can.

Matt

bonefishdick
11-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Wrong, I think lots of people do, I do have to admit however that I count everything except Fluke.

Mark Cahill
11-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Duke, if you keep a log book, the numbers are all there. Many of us keep logs so we can remember what, when where, with who, etc.

It also makes it really easy to compare stats year to year...

Slappy
11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Last November I found fewer fish than usual and it was a slow off season.

This November I haven't fished much, but there are fewer fish than last November.

The carp fishing is better than ever for November, tis the season for variety...--127-3-

notime
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Time to hijack this thread to Carp. Slappy, you catching those carp on the bottom or getting them up top? I went about 2 weeks ago and tried to get them on top. Had one or two gulps of the bread in about 2 hours time. Normally, they would be consistently gulping after the first 15-20 minutes of chumming with bread.

Slappy
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Stacked up like cordwood in deeper water, drifting bread chunks down to the bottom has worked pretty well.

Crappie jigs also work if you can find enough fish.

ssh, this is a fly board. --125-3

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o216/Yakfishpics/IMGP1088.jpg

notime
11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
That's one good looking fish. Tough to tell, but looks like a common carp. Where I fish it is mostly mirrors and they don't get much uglier than a mirror.

Duke of Fluke
11-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I to keep a log. Mine in fact is quite detailed and meticulous. It includes information about wind direction and speed, tidal phase, current direction and speed, moon phase, barometric pressure, weather (ie. light conditions, sun clouds and such), fly selection, line selection, presence of bait and alike. In each days entry it says what we caught as well. I usually use terms like 'hand full of small ones', or 'a good pick of mid sized fish, topping out around 36"/16 lbs', or 'crushed giant fish all day'. At no time however to I go back through the book and add up the # of fish that I caught in a given year, especially small fish because frankly, who cares? I use the log as a reference for different times of year. So if I wake up one day in July and it's blowing 15 SW, overcast, new moon and falling pressure I'll go back to that week in the book from the previous years and try to find out what I was doing then in the last year or in some cases many years before. This is how one begins to develop information about a specific area...if for 3 years in a row in June I've nailed fish at a particular spot when the wind is out of the northeast and the tide is falling the you'll be sure that I'm going there again the following year and see if the trend repeats itself, and you know what, it often, if not usually, does. Just because I have fluke in my user name doesn't mean that I'm out of the loop, Dick.

bonefishdick
11-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Lets keep the Carp Thread going !

summer salt
11-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Did the fat lady sing today Dick?

bonefishdick
11-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Looked for her all day, she choked on her words, Actually tried four different locations today looking for her, I'm not going to look for her tomorrow. Hopefully I or we can at least get her to Hum a few bar on Thursday. Will call you.

Maybe we should try this Carp fishing thing. I mean it could be the perfect excuse for the wife, it would be like " No Honey Carp Rods are different than Salt Water Rods." Worth a Shot.

FlyFishMich
11-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Lets keep the Carp Thread going !
Fortunately, for those that live in Michigan, we have a fall/winter full of steelhead to look forward to until the rivers become solid or it becomes too cold to cast a line. I have had a slow start to my fall steelheading, due in part to taking care of my 7 month old son. After months or reading reports about stripers, blues, and funny fish I finally get my redemption. A good friend, and his son, from CT will be in the area over the weekend so hopefully I can put them on a steelhead or two?

I did get an odd cell phone pic on Sunday night. Apparently one of my old steelheading buddies now living in PA was in RI for training on Monday AM. He took it upon himself to visit one of my south coast striper gigs Sunday evening and managed 10 linesiders and a stray blue. Must still be a few fish around? I have to imagine the nice storm you guys had last weekend pushed some bait into LI sound as well?

Good luck with the carp, I have pursued them between seasons out here on crystal clear Lake Michigan flats. Oddly, despite hundreds of steelhead and salmon on the fly, the carp still remains the only fish in Michigan that has ever introduced me to my backing. Hook one in a foot of water and their first instinct is to find deeper water, which in this case is a hundred or so yards away.

notime
11-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Good luck with the carp, I have pursued them between seasons out here on crystal clear Lake Michigan flats. Oddly, despite hundreds of steelhead and salmon on the fly, the carp still remains the only fish in Michigan that has ever introduced me to my backing. Hook one in a foot of water and their first instinct is to find deeper water, which in this case is a hundred or so yards away.

I saw a presentation about Lake Michigan carp flats fishing and it looked pretty cool. The pictures I saw had them in groups in small depressions on the flats and you'd have to very quietly approach them and try not to spook them with your cast. In the big sand flat you'd see a small black circle which would be the fish in the depression.

Slappy
11-18-2009, 09:17 AM
I would imagine that those big lake carp are pretty big too. They usually grow to match the size of the water they are in.

I have been targeting them in a deep pond where they stack up in their winter over schools in early Nov. They are stacked now and mostly in 12' to 25' of water, easy to target with bait and small jigs with spinners.

I catch more on jigs in Nov and Mar/april when there is little vegetation around--I think that makes them focus on other sources of food, like bugs and small baitfish. Once the water gets below 40, they are tough to get on anything but bait and they aren't the best fighters in cold water.

I bet you could take these fish on a fly, but it wouldn't be easy.

notime
11-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Fishing a fly that deep for sluggish fish isn't a lot of fun anyway. In a small river, do you think they travel far from their warm water spots? The river I fish is slow moving, about 15 - 50 feet wide and not very deep. I'd guess 10 feet at the deepest spot. I've been thinking about taking the kayak out to reach the middle of the river and some areas that are tough to fish from shore. I've been assuming they move more toward the middle but stay in the general same spot rather than move way up or way down river.

Slappy
11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
If you have a FF in your yak, you should be able to find them and once you do, they generally stay in the same vicinity until it warms again. Carp make very good marks on the FF. if you don't have a FF, visit the river just before it gets light and look for gulping fish--they will usually gulp for between 10 min and 1 hour then you don't see them again, but they are still there.

Most of our rivers have a marked dropoff around the channel, I would scope the edges of the drop, more on the deeper side. I usually find the biggest schools on drops and not flat areas.

notime
11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
It is labeled a FF but I call it a depth finder as it is not very sensative. I may give it a try this weekend if I don't head down to RI for one last shot at the bass.

Onshore
11-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, since I moved here my best fishing begins in late October or early November in Mosquito and Indian River Lagoons but really gets rolling in the surf this month and lasts well into January. Then, we have another great season from March well into June. But the best thing is you can catch some nice fish from June into October but, just have to work a little harder for them. But, I still miss Striper season in New England.