PDA

View Full Version : No love from Carp

notime
11-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I went out in my kayak on Sunday fishing for some carp in the Blackstone river. All I got was one type of fish I've caught before and have no idea what it is. It ate the bread off the bottom and looked sort of like a white perch. IN warmer weather I have caught them closer to the top. I'd guess it was 1/2 - 1 pound. The body was oval shaped like crappie but much fatter, had large scales and almost no color. The water is very murky and it was kinda of a murky white color. Small mouth too.

Slappy
11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Carp love...

its timeless. :rolleyes:

bonefishdick
11-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Slappy

I am hearing rumors that the State is going to come out with a new vanity plate but they can't seem to decide on what it should be. I'm hearing it is either going to have a Yak or Carp on it, not sure which one.

The word on the Hill is after the SW License is a done this is the next thing on the agenda.

My vote is for the Carp ! They look like someone I know.

herman
12-16-2009, 05:14 PM
do people eat carp??
THe new asian h-mart in burlington sells them. I thought the were inedible??

Jacob K.
12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
they are very edible, although they say that carp in MA are loaded with heavy metals so they should be avoided. what I dont understand, is since they are vegetarians, the bioaccumulation factor should be less than it would be in a large mouth bass, so why are they worse to eat?

notime
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm guessing they have more issues since they eat off the bottom and pick the bad stuff from the bottom. Carp also live a lot longer and thus accumulate more mercury and other goodies.

Problem with much of the Carp in MA is they are located in less than clean water and I'm told they aren't very tasty because of this. The carp in the St. Lawrence river probably taste better since the water is much cleaner and none of that muck we see in lots of MA rivers.

You'd have to very brave or very hungry to eat the carp I pull out of the blackstone. They are very ugly and look like survivors from nuclear fallout.

Slappy
12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Carp are often farm raised for table fare in Asia.

In MA, they are the closest fish to a gamefish though. With the exception of a few, they are almost universally released. The only places I see them kept are the most urban habitats--probably the spots most likely to have contaminated fish!

jsynnott
12-17-2009, 08:00 PM
just got in to chasing carp this summer, Lake Champlain has some real monsters. What a challenge. More amped to chase them in the spring than the trout.

Slappy
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
just got in to chasing carp this summer, Lake Champlain has some real monsters. What a challenge. More amped to chase them in the spring than the trout.

Every spring I drive past ponds stocked with 1#-2# stocked trout to catch 5#-20# wild carp. And in Champlain that would be 5# to 40#.

It is an easy choice!!