PDA

View Full Version : Late April

jsynnott
11-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Looking ahead to an April break that does not coincide with the rest of the family so I have a week free(ish). It's the last week of April and I would like to target some fish moving up the coast. A bit too soon for the Cape, in reliable numbers, but are there good numbers in CT or RI? Willing to drive as far as Jersey, but not if I don't have to. Any suggestions?
PS Shorebound

bdowning
11-29-2009, 06:35 PM
April schoolie fishing in general has gone downhill over the past 5-7 years. That said, RI will have decent numbers of schoolies by then. Most will be very small, but there is always the possibility of a small legal. Narrow River, WW, Matunuck are all good early season spots.

-bd

notime
11-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Salt ponds also worth a try.

Fitzy
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
By late April, the bass will be plentiful in Buzzards bay. If it's a typical spring- then we'll start getting them around the 15th in back bays. Think shallow muddy bays that will warm up quickly. By late arpil/very early may I'll usually have my first leagal fish. fish with the wind in your face so it'll blow the warm surface layer of water at you (along with any bait that's around). They'll almost always have lice so I know they aren't holdovers. I haven't fish RI that tiem of year yet, but I'm gonna give it a shot this year.