PDA

View Full Version : Yucatan Charter Help?

UnaPezMas
12-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey there Everyone- Happy Holidays!

Alright, so i hope to be down in the Yucatan in a few weeks...and I need some advise.

I was thinking about trying to do a 1/2 or full day charter for some snook/poons/bones, etc. Spinning only, DOA's, stick-baits, etc.

Would you say that the best bet (I will be staying in Riviera Maya and Cancun) is:
Isla Blanca (north of Cancun),
The Lagoon Behind Cancun,
Boca Paila,
Or Pesca Maya?

I think Pesca Maya is the furthest away, but they do organize day trips and hotel pick-ups. However, this is a few hundred $$ more, and a full day.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thank you,

Chris

mhuggins
12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Chris, I would fish the Nichupte Lagoon in Cancun. There are plenty of baby tarpon there as well as bigger snook this time of year. I have fished that area several times over the past 3 years. Isla Blanca is nice but rough if windy. Cozumel is closest to you but mainly limited to bonefish. If you want the name of a guide for Cancun send me a PM and I will give you the web site and info. I will be there in Feb. Mike

UnaPezMas
12-18-2009, 12:54 PM
PM'd you.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Have you fished there before?

Thank you,

Chris

mhuggins
12-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Chris, I have fished the north end of Cozumel, Isla Blanca and Cancun. They are all good. I fished Cozumel when I stayed in Playa del Carmen due to it's proximity(30min. ferry) vs. a 40-45 cab ride to Cancun. When I stay in Cancun I fish the lagoon. For what you want to do I would fish Cancun due to a wider variety of fish available as well as protection from the wind. When a winter front comes through it can be unpleasant; 25-30 knot winds for a day or 2. I have seen many baby tarpon 5-20lbs, jacks,snook,bones,permit on every trip in the lagoon. There are flats as well as mangrove lakes and channels in Cancun. The latter can make the day if it is windy. I have alwaws caught fish there; I only fish w/fly rod, so I think you should do very well if you are going to use spinning gear. I pm'ed some names for you. If you go with Martin,tell him I sent you. Good luck, Mike

UnaPezMas
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Many thanks to Mike for his help and suggestions.
I ended up fishing with "cancun tarpon fishing" in the lagoon and we found some/got put on to some juvie tarpon, snook, and a jack. I really need to work on my hooksets, i was not quick enough for some of the strikes.

The weather was not ideal, but it was a great experience, and located right in the heart of the tourism area. Much cheaper than taking a day trip to Pesca maya...although I have never been, so the fishing might be better. I would certainly do it again.

Thank you Mike!

Chris

mhuggins
01-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Chris, Glad you had a good time! It is an easy trip as compared to driving south. I have a question. How were the flights as far as security checks and carry on baggage? I usually carry on my rods and reels and have never had a problem in the past but am considering checking them this trip. I don't want a hassle in the screening line or when boarding time comes. Thanks, Mike