PDA

View Full Version : Going to Tulum Mexico I want to go fishing not sure how???

akthor
02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I am going on my first vacation out of the states. Going to Tulum Mexico April 28th - May 5th. Since I will be there I would really like to go fishing for billfish like I have seen on tv my whole life. I can't charter a whole boat I am the only one in my party interested in going. So I need a shared charter. Have looked online not having much luck. Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or even better might be chartering a boat and want someone to join to help share costs.

rickfly9
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
don't know where you are staying, but the main marina for deep sea fishing is in peurto aventuras. would recommend using tequila sunrise, glenn turberville is the owner , and has 3 or 4 boats. do not use captain ricks if you can help it as their boats are so out of tune that the diesel fumes overcame all of us on the last trip out. mucho sicko , and they seemed to think it was ok. was planning on using glenn, but he was away that week, big mistake. there are others along the whole coast that have 24 ft pangas that will take you out also, but they are not as well equipped , but they are a little less money and may be right next door to where you are. give me a pm if you want. rick

Cheju
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Beter yet, try trolling the beaches at Talum for those topless beauties that show themselves from 11AM till 4PM. Much less expensive than sailfishing unless you get a hook-up.

Cheju

j cutt
03-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I'll be in the Tulum area april 23 -30. I wouldn't mind splitting a boat ,but I'm a fly fisherman. However, hooking a sail on a 12 wt would be fun ! I was more interested in splitting a guide for bones, permit ect... It would also mean it would have to happen on the 29th The day after you arrive & the day before I leave.

Anyone else in the area that time frame ?

Jacquestrappe
03-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Went to a wedding in Tulum last February and hooked up for a day at Boca Paila lodge. Very close to Tulum (20-30 minute drive). Bones were mostly small but we saw plenty. Also had multiple shots at permit.

If you are going to Tulum on vacation, definitely a great fishing opp for a day.

See below...this was an email sent to prior to my day with them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should plan on arriving at the lodge no later than 7:45 to allow time to get set up and head out on the water. Coming from Tulum, it should only take 20-30 minutes, depending on where exactly you are. I have attached a map and driving directions to assist you with this.

You can pay the fishing trip with credit card and the tip of the guide in usd, aprox 20-30 usd.

Below you find some information concerning flies and rods.

1. flies and rods:

Usually at Bocapaila you will catch tarpon, bonefish, permit, snook, barracuda, snapper. You might bring different sizes of flies, specially little flies, roaches and crabs.I suggest to bring both, spinning rods
and fly rods.

But you also can rent them at the lodge.
A 9 weight fly rod would be fine, we usually recommend anything between 8-9-10.
Also you can bring a spinning rod, for blind cast, in case the weather is not so perfect.
Concerning the flies, we recommend to bring different crab patterns (#4,#5) for catching permit, shrimps, spawning shrimps (pink or yellow), crazy charlies for bonefish (pink) as well as gotchas (tan or pink or white) and claussers, merkin crabs and yarm crabs for permit,roaches for catching tarpon (black-red, black-white, black-yellow), and flashy streamers and deceivers for snook.

2. spin rods and jigs

All our guides are very experienced and will recommned you the best jigs and lures for the different species.

Basically you could bring lures for snook, tarpon, jacks, small jigs for bonefish and permit.
Sinking lures (not floating), which look like sardines or needlefish are recommended.
Wiglee jigs of different colors like light pink, golden, yellow, white are suggested.

Live bait sometimes is also used, like sandcrabs and shrimps.
Hook size 6/0 (wiggle jigs #6)

But please don't worry, the guide will always help you to use the right ones.

SOME RENTAL EQUIPMENT IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT THE LODGE.

spin rod usd 10 per day
fly rod usd 15 per day

flies and jigs are available for sale (4-5 usd/each)

See you soon!!

Claudia Aguado
Gerente Administrativo
BOCA PAILA FISHING LODGE
phone +52-984 155 00 12
CEL 998-147-7379

claudia@bocapaila.com
info@bocapaila.com
www.bocapaila.com
www.bocapailamexico.com