PDA

View Full Version : North Shore w/ kids quiestion?

soundownsam
03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I live in Rowley and woudl like to take my 2 year old for some quick fresh water trips this spring. I haven't done any real serious fresh water fishign in years and would appreciate some pointers for techniques as well as spots. i am assuming that we woudl most likely want to target pan fish on bait with bobbers, but, after that things get blurry.

I understand the keep the outings quick, don't let them get bored part of the equation so I don't think that will be an issue. If anything I'll bring a stack of books and we can read while we wait for a bite.

sam

Slappy
03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Sam, a favorite for me is to use a 2" tube on a 1/16 jig under a bobber and fish in shallow coves with sunnies and crappies.

Kids have a hard time keeping anything still and this rig is meant to be fished slow or deadsticked, but works when the kids are moving it around.

You will be lucky if you get an hour but it grows on them and they will be willing to spend more time as they learn and succeed.

Gtown
03-03-2010, 09:12 PM
soundownsam:

Head over to the Dow Brook Reservoir (Just past First Light and just before the Clam Box) on 133. The sunnies all sit right along the bank there. Small hooks, worm fragments, and bobber are all you need.

Another place I take my kids is American Legion park on Pentucket Pond in Georgetown (Off of 97 just past intersection of 97/133). Sandy beach with a playground. Might have a hard time keeping the 2 year old fishing with the slides/swings right there.

Good thing about both these spots is that you can bumble your way into big bass and pickerel too.

You're right on about keeping it quick. Bottom line fishing with really little ones is don't get frustrated if outings are 5 minutes long. If you're catching fish, they'll last a bit longer, but don't push it or everyone has a bad time.

Good luck!

This was last summer at Dow with my middle and youngest ...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/kac4416/KylieKJBass.jpg

soundownsam
03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Great pic. That's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Sam

notime
03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Bring lots of snacks, spare rod for when they tangle the first one, and drinks. I suggest using a spin rod. Those thumb rods for the kids always seem to tangle.

Keep it simple too, less stuff the better. I use to pack for every possible situation and I'd spend 2 hours getting ready and 30 minutes fishing.

Most of all, remember it is about them not you. You understand that now, but once you see the water the juices start flowing and you just want to catch fish. First five minutes everything is cool, then the kids misses a few fish or tangles the rod. Another five minutes pass and the kid still hasn't caught a fish. By the eleventh minute you can't take it anymore and push the kid out of the way and scream "Set the G*d D*m hook! as you pull back hard enough to set the hook on a 200 pound shark. The poor sunny lauches out of the water at rocket speed and flies by your head as a blur. As you follow the trajectory of the fish you see it heading towards a woman with her small child. Smack right into her chest, knocking her back a step. Still fuming, you yell "That's my fish, leave it alone!". :brow

soundownsam
03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
notime,

I resemble that comment.

sam