PDA

View Full Version : Push Pole Question

IFSteve
04-17-2010, 08:57 AM
When I get a flats skiff will likely be trailering it back and forth between home in Idaho and wherever I spend winters. It would be a whole lot simpler if I had a two piece push pole.

Are they a realisitic option or are they just too prone to breakage. What do you guys with experience think?

Thanks,

Steve

flyfishsalt
04-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Bass Pro is selling a $150 push pole that comes in three pieces. It is o.k. Once it is glued together is stays together. I have the Stiffy Hybrid Once Piece poles and love them. I have broken them and then fitted them back together with ferrules from Stiffy. They work for a while after that. They do not come apart once they are glued together.

lemaymiami
04-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I have three of them (two G. Loomis, and one experimental graphite Moonlighter) and live or die by whether the one in my hand is usable... Most prefer the one piece poles and learn to live with them... They're a pain, no doubt, whether they're as short as 16' or as long as 23'.... I have used a two piece pole on other angler's boats once or twice and they're a bit heavier than a one piece and just not as "user friendly".

If you're going to be trailering long distances with that pushpole you'll want a lightweight cable and lock as extra security (not from theft, but the possibility of one of your clips failing or the pole coming off of the clips in bad weather at highway speeds or on really bad roads). The cable goes through or around the fork (the fork end should be mounted bow forward on you skiff for trailering) and secures to the bow eye of your skiff.

One other item about pushpoles, being fiberglass, or graphite (or more commonly these days a mixture of graphite and glass...) they're actually susceptible to sun damage so make a point of storing one when not in use out of the sun (pretty simple to rig a hook and bracket that allows you to store one up under the eaves of a house or up inside a garage out of the way...). When the sun does its mischief over time the surface of a pushpole becomes rough and small fiber glass particles will make using the pole a chore.... Hope this helps.

IFSteve
04-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the input. Looks like I will just get a one piece and deal with it. I do have a place in the garage where I can hang it up out of the way. Good suggestion on the locking to keep from losing the pole via the road bumps or theft.

Steve