PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Just Shut Down the Rec BFT Fishery For a Few Years?

Frankie G
06-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I was going to post this on Tuna Wrestler's thread, but I did not want to hijack the it with ancillary thoughts, hence the new thread.

Frankly, and I know this will **** some people off, but with the new regs in place as they are, why not just shut it down completely to rec. fishing for a few years like they did to the herring (though that was shut to comm and rec alike) and then reassess? Sure there are fish in the slot around as Terry pointed out, but odds are (IMO) that you are going to be catching fish in the no take slot far more often than within the slot. Many of you out here have the appropriate gear to whip a fish quickly and get it to the boat while still green for the most effective and clean release possible, but there are plenty who do not mostly just per lack of experience or inappropriate gear. Mortality is not just a fish being released and it drops to the bottom of the ocean dead. Think of the guys with 50's or spinning gear who are relatively new to the chase...after a long and arduous fight, that fish could certainly have a CHANCE to live but would be far more prone to predation post release. You can argue that predation is the normal cycle of life- I agree-but these fish will be handicapped until they can cool down and recover from the fight and be far more open to attack. If the goal is to ensure protection and prevent overfishing of the breeding class so that our children's children can have access to this asset- as well as a vibrant long term commercial fishery- then I question why have a recreational fishery at all in the near term. You can argue that this same issue is problematic from a comm. perspective, but most comm guys I know, again IMO, are seasoned professionals who have the equipment and know how to whip a fish boat side while still green with increased odds for long term survival. I would presume total mortality would be decreased within the comm sector, though I am the first to admit that I could be mistaken.

The old way you catch your 68" fish and go home. With the new regs, you will likely catch and release several illegal fish before getting one in the slot (or not), and I am not convinced that is in the species best interest, regardless if they appear to swim away all fine and dandy. Your fish swimming away under its own power is not the end of the story as I mentioned above. Since (under)reporting on the rec side has been identified as a serious issue, I would think that given the new regs many rec. fisherman may not report their "trophy" fish so they can try for another...and another. many have invested tons of $$$ in preparing to chase these fish, so the new regs could be hard to swallow for many. Most, if not all of you, out here are not in this camp, but they are indubitably out there.

The key is in enforcing reporting, and that is a difficult and likely expensive proposition especially in light of the current local and national budget deficiencies.

Some of you know me and I am not a clown looking to start a fight with my big internet muscles. Those days are behind me. I don't post as much as I used to because there has been too much bickering and not enough thoughtful discussion when something controversial is introduced. I am both a die hard fisherman and a conservationist and the two are not mutually exclusive.

I think this issue warrants discussion. Let's try and keep it civil. I know it can be done.

Frank

Slappy
06-10-2010, 01:06 PM
From my (very simple) understanding is that we don't do it because the poachers in the mediterranean want us to.

Stopping US recs doesn't solve the problem that confronts the BFT fishery and the US has a relatively robust fishery compared to the Med.

Smarter people will chime in later...

Frankie G
06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Good point.

Slamdance
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I found plenty of happy slot-sized fish (70-80 pounds) yesterday. They are around if you get away from the cowboys.

e-sea-e
06-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I found plenty of happy slot-sized fish (70-80 pounds) yesterday. They are around if you get away from the cowboys.

I'd expect nothing less from a fellow UMASS Amherst grad steve.

nice work, next time you see them tell to head up my way.

Slamdance
06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd expect nothing less from a fellow UMASS Amherst grad steve.

nice work, next time you see them tell to head up my way.

Who said I "graduated" from UMass Amherst? UMass and I had a parting of the ways Junior year and I got my diploma from Suffolk U. So, F&@k U! :-)

riptide
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Steve did u get them to eat? A week or so ago I saw them on 2 of 3 trips. I'm guessing where u found them. Only got a few casts before the sounded. Nice to know if they are eating well yet.

e-sea-e
06-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Who said I "graduated" from UMass Amherst? UMass and I had a parting of the ways Junior year and I got my diploma from Suffolk U. So, F&@k U! :-)

well, at least you didnt go to BC after "leaving" UMASS......:)

besides, I know you learned all the important things at UMASS, like how to tap a keg, how to play beer pong, etc.

Slamdance
06-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Terry: They were really finicky until the wind went SW. We had some chasers on surface plugs before then but had switched to an older lure I hadn't pulled out of my bag for tuna for a few years when they decided to eat. Typical pushing/frustrating fish for a while, but perseverance and patience (and a mild wind shift) sometimes rules.

As a side note: We had a plane go get a stick boat and got to watch him throw on a fish about 200 yards from us, so there were some bigger fish around too.

riptide
06-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Terry: They were really finicky until the wind went SW. We had some chasers on surface plugs before then but had switched to an older lure I hadn't pulled out of my bag for tuna for a few years when they decided to eat. Typical pushing/frustrating fish for a while, but perseverance and patience (and a mild wind shift) sometimes rules.

As a side note: We had a plane go get a stick boat and got to watch him throw on a fish about 200 yards from us, so there were some bigger fish around too.

Nice work! Good job staying with it.--127-3- We got some picky fish two years ago, after going through the "usual" stuff. We went "old school" and got bites. Funny how we sometimes shelf the older stuff that worked well and focus only on the new. Its nice to have some fallbacks at times.

BTW,
I have a sport that wants a flyrod tuna. I dug out my copy of Tuna on the Fly by Gilmore to lend him as pre-game homework. I was flipping through it and looknig at some of the pics you took and reading his accounts of the group charters. Those were some interesting trips :)!!!!!