PDA

View Full Version : Any Pogies in Boston Harbor?

LightTackle
08-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Taking my 9 year old son out either tonight or tomorrow. Brought him there a couple of years ago and he had a blast snaggin the pogies and then waiting for the stripers.

Any reports or PMs would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LT

Gurry
08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Boston Harbor is FULL of tinker mackerel. Problem is there are few Large fish under them! They randomly break the surface and the birds are right there fooling the gazillion boats who rush to scatter the bait with casts in all directions. Sure, every 10 minutes or so someone in that hundredth boat will hook up with a hoot and a hollar and bring in a schoolie or a medium sized Blue. Nothing like last week when every bird seemed to hover over a keeper! Best action: Very early off Deer to Nixes and Hull Gut to Houghes Neck.

wasabi
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Recently, the bait on top look pretty casual . . . just schooling up and ****ing directions in an organized manner. . . and even when they get run over hard by a non-fishing boat, these bait balls rise right back up to the surface. And I haven't marked too many big fish with the finder either.

Last weekend, it was definitely the stripers chasing the bait up. The bait up on top were were pretty freaked out . . .

wasabi
08-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Huh? There's a censor for 's-h-i-f-t-i-n-g' directions on this site?

Bob Parsons
08-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Let's check shifting

Ok checked and it worked. You must have had a particular typo...

Gurry
08-23-2010, 11:45 AM
You get around to live-lining those tinkers?

LightTackle
08-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah we went and only stayed for a couple of hours. Launched up past the locks in the Mystic. We picked up a few schoolies after passing thru the locks.

Then we started working our way out to the harbor and by that time (around midnight) you needed a gas mask due the the 9-alarm fire that was happening at some warehouse in Boston. It was pretty awful with some serious thick smoke.

Hit a few favorite spots on the way out but never made it past the Coast Gaurd station. By that time Josh fell asleep on the boat and decided to call it quits.

Shoulda went in the early AM instead of the late-night.. Oh well..