PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a ship

Jacob K.
08-25-2010, 05:41 AM
Sorry McPhee, I could not resist.
I will be back in the Boston area for 2.5 weeks in September. I would love to get out with someone for a mid-week fishing trip. I will bring along some Icelandic seafood delicacies (dried fish, smoked lumpfish) to sweeten the deal.
Thanks
Jacob

amarshall
08-25-2010, 06:53 AM
If you bring Hakarl and Brenevin I'm in. --125-3--126-3-

and if you got some hvalreki sushi by customs I'd really be impressed.

Jacob K.
08-25-2010, 07:18 AM
I have about 1kg of hákar that my friend's dad made and another guy I know caught.
I can get brenevin.

for real?

amarshall
08-25-2010, 08:00 AM
I have a bunch of brenevin... Lighter fluid. It's more for the tourists. I do appreciate the way they drink it, chasing beer with booze.

No interest in trying the hakarl. ****ed on shark is not for me. As for the whale sashami...nevermind :D

I'd take you fishing but I can't get out of work midweek.

-Andrew

Jacob K.
08-25-2010, 08:13 AM
harkarl...depends on the batch. sometimes it makes me vomit, but the particular batch that I have is quite mild and quite good.
brenivin is not just for tourists.

SamRiley
08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
What dates Jacob?

Albiemanmike
08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
So being completely clueless to what you were both talking about I did what we all do and Googled Harkarl and found out what it was. Truly not something you want to give to friends and family. Here is what some people had to say about the Icelandic delicacy.

Chef Anthony Bourdain, who has travelled extensively throughout the world sampling local cuisine for his Travel Channel show No Reservations, has described shark ţorramatur as "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he has ever eaten.
Chef Gordon Ramsay challenged journalist James May to sample three "delicacies" (Laotian snake whiskey, bull penis, and hákarl) on The F Word; Gordon Ramsay then vomited after eating hákarl, although May kept his down. May's only reaction was "You disappoint me, Ramsay."[1]
On season 2's Iceland episode of Travel Channel's Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, Andrew Zimmern described the smell as reminding him of "some of the most horrific things I've ever breathed in my life," but said the taste was not nearly as bad as the smell. Nonetheless, he did note that hákarl was hardcore food and not for beginners.