PDA

View Full Version : CUBA DIY or Xcalak DIY

Globetrotter
02-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Is it true??
That Avalon is closing down DIY opportunities in Cayo COCO and Cayo Romana on Cuba's North Coast?
I was aiming at fishing with a guide for 3 days and DIY for 3 days, cannot afford a full week....., but hear that AVALON and other outfitters are bribing/paying for the federales to stop DIY fishing on the flats - anyone??

Alternative destination is Xcalak in Mexico, if you have any experience with this as DIY destination in June, what do you think/recommed?

Thanks

Globetrotter

ajax6
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
The Government of Cuba (GOV.) contols all long term activities on the Island. Possibly a few residents have been persuaded with money to stray, but when the money ends or the GOV. is wise.. the end. Avalon concentrates on providing for clients on the South of Cuba, communication with the GOV. and maintaining the fishery therein. Please do not doubt this information unless you experience otherwise.

PescaMexicana
03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Is it true??
That Avalon is closing down DIY opportunities in Cayo COCO and Cayo Romana on Cuba's North Coast?
I was aiming at fishing with a guide for 3 days and DIY for 3 days, cannot afford a full week....., but hear that AVALON and other outfitters are bribing/paying for the federales to stop DIY fishing on the flats - anyone??

Alternative destination is Xcalak in Mexico, if you have any experience with this as DIY destination in June, what do you think/recommed?

Thanks

Globetrotter

In my opinion, Xcalak is an inferior fishing destination compared to other destinations along the Yucatan coast. Wading is difficult at best because the bottom is soft and muddy. Most of the fishing there is done from a panga or kayak. If you do plan on wade fishing Xcalak, I suggest you start a physical exercise program as soon as possible, purchase marl walker type boots and use gravel guards around the top. With all that said, the fishing there is reasonably good.

pescator
03-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm asking myself exactly the same questions, we have two weeks at the end of may planned in the Caribbean are but still hesitate between Bahamas (looks too expensive for us), Mexico Yucatan, Cuba or Los Roques.

The South of Cuba is almost all reserved to Avalon but it seems that you can fin some local guides (Reserva de Zapata, Isla Juventud) without going with Avalon.

On the North part, other organisations, most of them European are operating and it looks like you can't access the cayos without a guide or without being resident of the all inluded resorts. You can see roads going to the island on the satelitte view but you never know wheter or not there will be a police stop.
But I couldn't find info from the government to confirm that.

That's why Mexico looks like a good option, but you defenitely need some kayaks to explore at it's best if you don't have guide.

Spiral
03-17-2011, 01:30 PM
you must not be looking in the right places for the Bahamas.