PDA

View Full Version : Newport Ocean Drive Frenzy

martinatpw
08-21-2000, 01:19 PM
Those bunker reports are solid. Fished Friday night along the drive and it was unbelievable. The blues and bass were almost washing up on the rocks, they were going so crazy. You could scoop up the bait with your hands if you wanted. The bass were harder to get to as the big blues would just hammer anything that was out there. Some of the bass were porpoising, if that is a word, and just keeping their mouths open, sucking in bait. There are some fat bodies this weekend in the surf. We had to leave at dark, don't know what continued, and don''t know if that goes on during the day. We just looked for birds along the cliff walk there on Fri night. They were not too hard to find. Real solid fun. Wish Conn had that kind of fun. Fished Middlegrounds on Sunday and pulled up some nice Bluefish also in the AM. They were chowing bunker too. They moved out pretty quick when the sun moved higher.

Ray
08-21-2000, 02:12 PM
Was the Ocean Drive action you had from shore or boat?

martinatpw
08-21-2000, 06:07 PM
We boated on Sat, but we were on the cliffs on Fri night. Let me know how it goes. Martinatpw@hotmail.com Great time. It was an overcast night, and rainy, that could have helped. Just cruise along the drive looking for birds. I wasn't blind casting. Fly rod action was tough though, as we had to pull the fish in between different rock piles. Not that easy. Sean.

michael
08-22-2000, 11:29 AM
What a difference a couple of days can make. I was out along the drive last night with plenty of other people, and I didn't see a thing. Way out there were some birds working but nothing major. The tide was dead low at about 6:30PM, so I'm not sure if that was a factor. I'm going to take a ride along the drive at high tide today to see if that's a different scene. I'll also swing by Second Beach and Sachuetts Point to see if there's any action and report back.

Ray
08-22-2000, 03:42 PM
mICHAEL

Please post what you see in Newport. I am thinking of fishing there this weekend from shore. In my experience, high tide is more productive along the rocks.

Ray

bassomatic
08-23-2000, 12:58 AM
Went to Sachuset Point monday for sunset and fished off the rocks using flatwings. No luck and decided to give up. While walking the trail back I heard that ploip-ploip-ploip plip-plip that sends the sensory apparatus of every fanatical fisherman into over drive. Looking out over the cove that stands in front of 2ond beach there were about 30 or so baseball diamond size schools of bait being ravaged by porpoising bass (assuming they were bass as they were short and stout) that looked to be in the 7.5-15# range. I made my way down and hooked up twice and was broken off twice (not sliced). I discoverd my penlight batteries were dead and regretfully had to retreat as it got darker. I could still hear the nearly 3 acres of fish jumping over the surf as I was getting in my car at the refuge parking lot.

michael
08-23-2000, 11:51 AM
Hello Ray,

I haven't had much luck recently out along the drive. Last night the tide was dead low, Monday was just as bad. I didn't see any birds working, or people with any hook ups. This weekend should be better with respect to the tides. I did get out on my lunch break yesterday when the tide was much higher. There was nothing along the drive, but in the far east corner of Second Beach, there was a swarm of bait fish schooling along the rocky shore of Satchuetts Point. Nothing was chasing them but they were all over the place. I tried snagging a few but had no luck. I am more than confidant that these bait fish will be up for the taking by larger prey. Last year during September the same thing happened and the action was great. Let me know how you make out. Who knows, you'll probably see me out there as well.