PDA

View Full Version : fishing from kayak

jt39
08-24-2000, 09:58 AM
to all the kayak guys, how tough is it to throw a fly line in a kayak, esp in rough conditions. and is it an ordeal to release toothy blues from such an unstable platform ????? thanks jt

SamRiley
08-24-2000, 11:20 AM
My kayak has a slightly wider base which makes for better stability. Although I did get rolled on the Brewster Flats last weekend because I wasn't paying attention to the waves. As for the Blues, I have not caught one yet on the fly but with conventional gear I just fight them till they are tired enough to pick them up by the tail. I then put down the rod and grab the Blue behind the head and work the hook with the hand that use to hold the tail. It makes sense once you do it. Basically, if you can tucker him out you can free them easily.

Good luck,
Sam

davew
08-24-2000, 11:26 AM
I really enjoy fishing out of my kayak. It does take a little getting used to, though. I put two rod holders on my Chesapeake 17, one for my fly rod and one for my casting rod. I generally troll around until I find some fish, and then cast to them.

Casting isn't a problem, provided you accept the limitations brought on by fact that you are effectively sitting at surface level. You can't sight fish well, because you're too close to the water to see very far. You might also need to keep your back casts higher than usual, too.

I can't answer your question about big blues, as the biggest I've ever caught out of my boat has been five pounds or so. Just use the same precautions you'd use in any other situation.

As for rough conditions, I think that depends mostly on your skill level and your boat design. I've comfortably fished in 4 foot rollers, and I only consider myself to be moderately skilled. If you do go out in rough conditions, make sure you know how to get back into the boat if you do roll it. A paddle float and pump should be considered standard equipment. A wet or dry suit is important when the water gets colder. I've found a rudder to be very helpful while fishing in rough conditions because you can steer the boat with your feet while using your hands on the rod.

I hope this helps.

cradad
08-24-2000, 09:01 PM
I've fished from my kayak for three years the easy way to release blue fish is to get a small pair of needle noise visegrips attach a key leash and just grip the lip of the blue lock the vise grip and you have complete control. If you hook in to 10 lb plus blues don't be surprised if you ge towed around.