PDA

View Full Version : Good 'billfish on fly' aticle

josko
01-25-2000, 09:38 AM
Take a look at http://www.marlinmag.com/articles/new/0,1639,8228,00.html?tollCat=3&domainname=MAR&category=Features for a cool article on fly fishing for blue marlin. I really do woner how this would work out with our local whites. I bet it's more doable than we think.

Adam-Albino
01-25-2000, 12:06 PM
So when do we try :-)

josko
01-25-2000, 12:20 PM
I suppose when it's not too rough :-)

SteveK
01-25-2000, 05:05 PM
I liked the select-A-button for the details on each species. I hope I get a chance to bring home a photo at least next summer.

Anybody know what the legal requirements are concerning the white marlins? Are they edible?

josko
01-25-2000, 05:51 PM
Marlin are rather good eating, but it's one of the few species I would release without thought or question. It's such a magnificent animal, and their future is hanging by a thread. Please, please release any billfish you catch :-)

JHorton
01-25-2000, 06:06 PM
<P><FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=3>Ditto what Josko said, plese don't eat the Marlin!</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Verdana size=3>It tastes like Mako, but too chewy.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Verdana size=3>You only get about a pound of meat per foot of length, so it is a HUGE waste!</FONT></P>
<P>
<P><FONT size=3>J.Horton</FONT></P>
<P><A href="http://people.ne.mediaone.net/aromafusion/masssalt.htm"><FONT size=3>Mass Salt</FONT></A></P>

ssully
01-25-2000, 11:11 PM
Hi Josko,

Thanks for that site. My adrenaline started pumping just reading that page. Talk about stretching the envelope.
Wow.

SteveK
01-26-2000, 09:39 AM
No problem guys. I usually prefer to "catch" and release with my little throwaway paper 35mm camera that is always on board. That way I keep the memory forever. Just was wondering if there are/will be any restrictions to protect them. Question: what is done at the billfish tournaments ie: Nantucket for weighing in the fish, etc.? Heard that two years ago alot a white marlins were caught.

josko
01-26-2000, 09:50 AM
I think limit on all billfish is one/boat/trip (any species). Min length for whites is 68" and blues 99" (lower jaw to fork.

SteveK
01-26-2000, 11:01 AM
Assuming that the tournaments require bringing in the fish, it's too bad that they can't find a better way to validate the competition and release the fish. Of course, they have to deal with the assumption: "I fish, therefore I lie".

JohnBerger
01-26-2000, 06:10 PM
Great site!&nbsp; I am heading to mexico in a few weeks and will probably take a shot at marlin.&nbsp; Ill let you know how I do.

JHorton
01-26-2000, 06:17 PM
<P><FONT color=black face=Verdana,Geneva size=3>In an odd coincidence today, I was offered Blue Marlin, as the special of the day, at the Austin Grill in Cambridge, which raised the question: Where and how are these fish commercially harvested? Do they exist in sufficient numbers to support a commercial fishery?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Verdana size=3>Just curious.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Verdana size=3>I opted for the Mahi-Mahi soft Tacos.....</FONT></P>
<P>
<P><FONT size=3>J.Horton</FONT></P>
<P><A href="http://people.ne.mediaone.net/aromafusion/masssalt.htm"><FONT size=3>Mass Salt</FONT></A></P>

josko
01-26-2000, 06:42 PM
I was pretty sure blue marlin have gamefish status, but you can get blue marlin in Hawaii fish markets any day of the week, and I've seen it for sale in Falmouth (MA), where the stores say they get it legally from charterboat captains. Does anyone know what the facts are?

SteveK
01-27-2000, 09:34 AM
Anybody want to go this weekend to Kona, Hawaii on the Big Island? The charter boats only steam a couple of miles beyond the breakwater to get into the 1000 to 2000' depths with blue marlin, BFT, YFT, mahi, etc. etc. Because Kona is on the lea side of the volcano, there is never any wind. Sounds purrfect, esp. for fly fishing.

Slamdance
01-27-2000, 04:43 PM
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
<head>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Mozilla/4.7 (Macintosh; I; PPC) [Netscape]">
</head>
<body>
As far as I know, <font color="#ED181E">Atlantic</font> marlin <b><i>cannot</i></b>
be sold, but <font color="#1822CD">Pacific</font> marlin <b><i>can</i></b>be.
If a falmouth store was selling marlin that came from a charter boat, they
could be in <b><i>BIG</i></b> trouble. I suspect they tell poeple whatever
will make them buy it, and tourists would probably like to think they are
eating fish right off the boats they're looking at.&nbsp; The reality is
the fish probably came from the Pacific.
<p>On a similar note, I remember once when I was on the staff of <i>Salt
Water Sportsman</i> and we all went to dinner at a Chicago restaurant.
The waiter told us (without knowing who we were, or where we were from);
one of the envening's specials was "Fresh Cuttyhunk Swordfish" which had
been caught off a small island off the coast of Massachusetts. We politely
explained to him where we were from and that no swordfish had been caught
off Cuttyhunk in quite some time. Another time I was eating in a restaurant
on the "West End" of Nantucket when the waitress was bragging about how
fresh the striped bass was. She expalined that they had a local recreational
fisherman who daily delivered fresh stripers right to the back door. She
even bragged about how the chef/owner paid the guy in cash so he wound't
have to go through "the usual channels" to get his fish. I did a little
research and learned the restaurant did not have a license to buy and the
"fisherman" didn't have a commercial license to sell. I contacted the EPO
on-island and they were busted a week later (the EPO said he had the place
staked-out already and was aware of what was going on but was waiting to
gather more evidence before busting them).
<p>Anyway, <b><font color="#1822CD">The Billfish Foundation</font></b>
will send a letter to the proprietor of any establishment which sells billfish.
All you have to do is call TBF with the name and address of the store or
restaurant and they send out a package of materials which explains the
trouble billfish stocks are in throughout the world and encourages them
to stop selling it.
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
<br>&nbsp;
</body>
</html>