PDA

View Full Version : rod holder for kayak

cradad
09-07-2000, 11:09 PM
I am in need of a rod holder for my kayak that won't break. At present I have a roberts rod holder and it's broken twice. The first time the base broke and today I had a real nice fish slam a shad I was trolling I saved my rod but lost the fish and rod holder

Clark
09-08-2000, 09:11 AM
I would be prepared to drill the big hole rather than mount a holder. I haven't done it yet myself. A double hernia has tied me up this summer. Check this guys page for some ideas. http://www.kayakfishing.com/

davew
09-08-2000, 09:52 AM
I mounted two Cabela's 360 rod holders on my Chesapeake 17. They work great with fly, casting and spinning rods. I'd recommend them to anyone.

cradad
09-08-2000, 09:59 AM
I was looking at the cabal,s 360 are they made of hard plastic like the roberts? Thanks for the inf.

cradad
09-08-2000, 10:02 AM
I thought of doing that but I have an old town nantucket and the only place I could drill a hole I would be hitting it all the time with my knees.
Thanks

davew
09-08-2000, 10:45 AM
They are fiber reinforced plastic. They come in two pieces, a base permanently mounted to the boat and a removable rod holder. I've used mine for two seasons so far with great results. Everyone who has seen them has liked them more than any other rod holder suitable for kayaks.

davew
09-08-2000, 10:48 AM
One thing that I forgot to add. The base needs to be mounted on a flat surface. That wasn't a problem for my boat which has a hard chine wood hull. That may be a problem if your boat has a curved plastic hulls.

dstreck
09-08-2000, 05:45 PM
On my two Chesapeake 17s I use rod holders made by
an outfilt on CT, Blue Water. I got mine at a fishing
show, but I've seen them at a lot of local tackle shops
(CMS in North Dartmouth, for one), plus LL Bean offers
them in their fly fishing catalog. They are one piece,
fiber-reinforced plastic, and I have them mounted right
behind the coaming ring. They hold a rod in with a
velcro strap, and work great (I also used 4 of them to
build a fly rod holder for my boat). With the rod in place,
it lies flat against the hull with the tip extending off the
stern of the kayak. I just rach back, rip off the velcro
strap and lift the rod out. I like them because the rod
isn't waving around up in the air, so it doesn't get in my
way when I'm paddling. Also, they are very secure.

Cheers...

Dave

Dean
09-09-2000, 12:52 AM
IMHO, the Blue Water rod holders are just about perfect. I have one on my kayak and my darlin' wife has one on her kayak. They are very easy to use and can be mounted just about anywhere. Thet come with SS screws but I used SS machine screws with SS nyloc nuts. I also have a pair of them mounted to the sides of my HydraSports CC console. They do the job for me.
Dean