Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 10-17-2001, 07:30 PM

Shimano Baitrunner vs Okuma BaitFeeder vs Silstar RXB vs Penn 5600L

Hi guys,

I posted this one on the tackle board but there is not much action there so maybe I will have more success on this board. Anyway !

I was one my way to buy a baitrunner type of reel and was going for the Shimano baitrunner 6500 as I thought they were the only one with the "runner" feature. I did some homework and realized that four brands are actually offering such reels:
- Penn with the 5600L
- Shimano with the Baitrunner
- Okuma with the Coronado BaitFeeder
- Silstar with the RXB baitfeeder

Penn and Shimano are the most expensive in the $100 to $140 range while Okuma and Silstar are in the $65 to $75 range. You would think the difference is due to the quality of the reels but when you look into it you find out that the cheaper reels are actually as good as the expensive ones if not better. I am very impressed by the Okuma on paper. A lot had been said on this board about the Shimano, a couple of posts are about the Penn but I was wondering if you have any input on the Silstar and Okuma. I am very close to give a shot at the Okuma but can not find any good or bad info on that reel.

Thanks for your help.

Patrick
Boston, MA

Old 10-17-2001, 07:46 PM
Administrator

RE: Shimano Baitrunner vs Okuma BaitFeeder vs Silstar RXB vs Penn 5600L

Not familiar with those reels but more than will to let you to the beta testing. At this point in the season they should last for several months with no problems. heh!
I have the shamano 4500 which I like.

I think Penn is coming out with something new but the name escapes me.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:34 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Got about 6 years of use on my 6500 before gears went this year. I thought this only happened with the 4500's. I hear MVP sports will take them back if you got original box.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:34 AM

I bought an RXB 70 about 3 years ago. It has worked well except that when I dropped it on the rocks last year and bent the bail it took me 3 weeks to find the parts. I now own a coronado and love it. But the big thing to remember is that you can get parts for a Penn reel everywhere.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:46 AM

Okuma seems to be offering great quality at very reasonable prices. I just picked up an Okuma fly reel and will be putting it to the test on the Salmon River this weekend.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:04 AM
Ban Sluggo's

theres a 5th reel offering a baitrunner feature...the mitchell full-runner...they are just starting to offer them in the us, been available in europe for some time...shimano pioneered the baitrunner, can't go wrong there...i had a silstar for several years, my buddies still got one, good reel, great price...i hate penns so i wouldn't take one if you gave it to me free and i know nothing about okuma...if the full-runner is made like the mitchell nautils then i would go for that...
Old 10-18-2001, 05:08 PM

You left out one "High end" option and that is the Shimano Thunnus ($220 +/-). Its the big brother of the Baitrunner from a quality perspective. Tolerances are a little better & the reel is a little more solid. Like everyone here, I've got a ton of tackle. for spinning reels I have: a Big PENN, a Baitrunner, A couple Fin nor's (silver megalite & the Black one). I used my BaitRunner the other weekend while slinging eels at Nauset but to be honest I like My Black FinNor the best.

heres a website which has Thunnus:
http://www.west-marine-fishing-supplies.com/shimano_fishing_reels/index.htm
Old 10-18-2001, 08:14 PM

Like some of the other posters I own allot of tackle.I have a penn 6500ss its a good reel but I dont think I would ever buy another one. It is a solid reel with a good drag,however it just feels clunky and I get a pretty fair amount of line twist with it. I bought a Shimano 6500 baitrunner earlier this summer and I am really pleased with it.It casts like a rocket and is very smooth feeling.The drag is good not great but good and the baitrunner feature is very solid. I use 15 lb test on both reels and the shimano can easily outdistance the penn.I researched the okuma reel as well but I could never find anyone local that sold them and I didnt want to buy one unseen or more importantly unheld.If you do get an okuma please let us know how it is I am still looking for one to check out.You know you can always use another rod and reel
Old 10-19-2001, 05:29 PM

Tibro,

One of my buddy tols me that Belsan Bait & Tackle in Scituate, MA has the Okuma. Phone # is 781.545.9400
I haven't been there yet but plan to do it soon.

Patrick
Boston, MA
Old 10-19-2001, 05:29 PM

Tibro,

One of my buddy told me that Belsan Bait & Tackle in Scituate, MA has the Okuma. Phone # is 781.545.9400
I haven't been there yet but plan to do it soon.

Patrick
Boston, MA
Old 09-22-2003, 01:31 PM

Post Baitfeeeder or Runners.

Also checkout Tica Reels a fellow fisherman has both Shimano and Tica and prefers Tica. Said they are alittle more
reasonable but just as good quality if not better. I have Okuma
but haven't used it yet. Plan to use on Red Drum in NC in
October if possible (Isabel!) will let all know what I think of it.

Wet a line have fun!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

It all depends on how much fishing you do. If you do a little then the Shimano 6500 is great but if you do a lot then spend the extra $ and get the Shimano Thunnus. Definitely a reel that will last.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:51 PM

I have a few baitrunner reels- the shimano 4500, the Okuma coranado, Okuma epixor and a pinnacle. The shimano has held up well to alot of use (can't really go wrong with it), but I am really liking the Okuma's, I have a new Coranado so I can't say it has held up yet as I have not used it much but the Epixor has been great- I put some BIG fish on it last winter in Costa rica and it performed exellent- love the reel....
Old 09-22-2003, 03:18 PM

I have an Okuma and it is crap.

The anti-reverse doesn't always work.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:37 PM

I utilize the Silstar bait runner sand feel that they are the best value for the money. It really depends on the type of fishing you plan on doing. I fish mostly eels and love that I can retrieve the Silstar without the baitrunner feature automatically engaging. So when a fish takes the eel I don't have to hurry and flip the baitrunner. I own three silstar's RXB 60's and an Rxb 70. Why pay 129 when you can get the same ( i think better performance) with the silstar. Drawback- After six years of hard use my drag is a little rough..