Forum Navigation

Search

Go Back   Reel-Time Forums > Regional Discussion Forums > New England

Old 05-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Sponsor

5/26 S.E. Cape Wade, Fly, Tips, Ramblings and Report

5/26 Fishing Report and Ramblings:

I'm sorry to report that several people lost their lives yesterday on the Cape in a boat when it was (?) swamped and sunk by waves. 2 survived, no one was wearing life vests. They were out fishing.

Looks like those high N-N.E. winds of yesterday slowed the fishing down for most, but not all yesterday. Most folks were working hard for a few hook-ups. It's a typical weather pattern that normally will cool the water down in certain area's by 5-8 degrees. About a week and a half ago the same thing happened. At least this time it only lasted a day and now we are back to a South wind today and tomorrow. This will help in pushing bait and warmer water back into the South Cape area. Things should get back to normal soon.

Remember that 55 degrees is normally the magic number. Find it and you will find fish. A friend reported taking water temperatures a couple of weeks ago. In one spot 42 degree's, no fish. He then went 300 yards to another fishy location, found 55 degree water and found loads of fish. In the Spring search out the warmer water and you well be rewarded. In the mid-late summer do the opposite to increase your odds of hooking up in paradise.

Today:
Dave and Pete could only last 1/2 a day but they sure made the most of it. Lots of micro bass, several schoolies and one that was close to 28 inch's. Several Blues hooked up and they managed to land one. (without wire) Blues, Bass and Terns working heavy this AM. in pods of sand lances. Noticed for the first time yesterday on the flats balls of micro sand lances. (1 to 1-1/2 inch's) Started off with white-chartruse clousers that worked great on the smaller bass. We hit a dry spell so I switched out to a more realistic sand lance pattern and the size of fish and hook-ups started immediately. As the flats flooded we saw some but caught all of our flats fish by blind casting into a slot that 85% of the fish travel through at that stage of tide. Worked like a charm.
Noticed other anglers having success also.

Dave was the type of guy who grew up using spinning rods with the usual assortment of baits and lures. He had that game down pat. But today, he wanted to try something new and challenging. Dave had never fished with a fly rod so after an hour of professional (ahemmmmm) instruction we had him casting 50 feet. (ahemmmmm) He caught his first striper and blue using it. Ye-haaa!

Pete was a graduate of the Orvis 2-1/2 day salt school out of "Fishing the Cape", back when I used to be the chief instructor. I watched him throw consistent (perfect loops) 85 foot cast's. I had no suggestion's to help to add to his incredible casting ability. He was in the ZONE!

I was happy to only put in a half day because I'm in the middle of 13 days straight. You can only turn your underwear inside out so many times before you HAVE to do your laundry!

Dave and Pete spanked'm

Best Fish's,

Randy Jones
Old 05-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Why the hell are people so stubborn about wearing vests and propper gear in case the worse happens? My heart goes out to those lost and their families...

-mike
Old 05-26-2002, 08:25 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Randy,

I was on the 8 am ferry with you to s.beach on sat. morn.(I was wearing the yelow and black jacket with the dancing bear stickers on my stripping basket!). I really felt bad for you with the two women and that stiff north wind !!!

I landed 7 bass that day, nothing bigger than ~23". On the dropping tide I saw the clouds of micro sand eels, and schools of tiny bass in skinny water. It's very frustrating seeing big bass and not being able present the fly due to the wind.

-acb