Forum Navigation

Search

Old 04-28-2004, 05:47 PM

Stealth vs Super Line

The conventional guys who jig the Canal on this board might mant to know that there's a new braided line called Stren Super Line that does not stick to itself like Stealth does.

After a few practice casts w/ Super Line I will NEVER use Stealth again.

Bill
Old 04-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

Question

How does the Stren braid behave on a spinning reel? Any peach fuzz, like Fireline? I noticed the sticking problem occasionally with Stealth, but otherwise it behaves better than most braids I've tried on spinning equipment and seldom tangles. But I'm willing to experiment with others if there isn't a huge price difference.

-bd
Old 04-28-2004, 07:13 PM

I spooled up all of my spin rods with stren braid for this season. On my tuna stick I replaced the power pro with stren. I did not like the power pro because it caused too many problems when casting.

Looking forward to using the stren. I purchased the high vis yellow which is very bright. Feels a lot more round than the power pro.

I'll post my results a few weeks into the season.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Veteran Reel-Timer

I fished Stealth for the first time last season. Loved it. But the only rap against it was, it did stick to itself a bit. I needed to be especially aware of that on windy nights!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

stren

I used the super line the last half of last year on my spinning rods and had good luck with it. No fraying or sticking and less tangles than stealth, it is expensive though.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:18 PM

$$$

I made a BIG mistake last year when I passed up Stren Super Line @ Dick's (the first place I looked) and went around pulling my hair out trying to find Stealth.

Stealh would stick so bad that it would wrap itself around the spool of my reel (reversed) at the end of every cast, and you would have to pull it out or let the tide take it out. Stren Super Line doesn't do that at all!

The good news is that Wallmart has the Stren for about a buck more than Stealth (by far the best price I have seen)...the bad news is that it only comes in 125yd. filler spools instead of the 150yd. Stealth fillers. 125yd. doesn't seem to be enough to 'top off' for jigging the Canal...after a few hang ups and lost line.

What I do is buy the 300yd. spool and use about 1/2 to top off...but I havent seen the 300yd. spool at a good price anywhere.

Bill
Old 04-29-2004, 09:54 PM

what lb test of stren do you use for the canal jigging from a spinning reel?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:22 PM

Dia.

I believe the diameter marked on the packages of Stren Super Line, Stealth, and Power Pro are all exactly the same, for the same lb. tests.

The Cabelas price is about normal for Stren...the Wallmart 125yd. price is WAY below anyone else.

Stren Super Line was given a TOP award for new fishing products last year, but was not that readily avaliable.

Bill