Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Thumbs up canal report***

Interesting morning. Arrived just prior to 3am. Tide was still screaming.
Pretty much any plastic on a 4-5oz head thrown as far as possible would get a hit, a bump or a hook up every second or third cast. The operative word here was "as far as possible". The bass were where they normally were, beyong the drop-off, in the channel proper. However, the trick here was then trying to reel the plastic bait back through the seemingly endless schools of 3-6 pound blues that were stacked 50' off the rocks. Those blues were insane this morning.
They would turn my newly rigged large plastics into worthless cigars on ever cast.
So, I turned to a heavy black jig with a very large pork rind. I went through 2 jars of those 7" "porker" pork rinds. The blues were biting these leathery strips in half as easily as plastic. I went through 6 strips in about 10 casts.
The bass a landed were decent fish, 30-34" (released all).
Too bad the blues crashed the party. Without them, it would have been a good morning.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Dawn on CC Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG
Too bad the blues crashed the party. Without them, it would have been a good morning.
I was afraid of that. I did get a school of blues briefly yesterday, but they moved out after chopping off several jigs. It sounds like there are more in residence now. The bass are definitely there in keeper sizes, if you can get past the pesky blues. I may have to switch to Tony's blues-free zone the next time out .

-bd
Old 08-03-2004, 04:14 PM

Gonna give it one more shot tommorrow, mostly rubber
Old 08-03-2004, 09:10 AM

No blues where I was this morn.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:08 PM

Bob, Tony:
Were you fishing different ends of the canal? I'm guessing Tony was East and Bob was West? Course, with the bft in ccb the blues will start hanging out east as well now!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:19 PM

Hmmmm....thanks Scott. The east end jetties can be pretty good at dusk for blues. Being strictly shorebound, I still get excited about bluefish!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:06 PM

Glad to hear the reports! I was going to make a trip down and give it a whirl, I will definately be there as long as I can get all the necessary yard work done on friday afternoon. The BIG boss was dusting off the whip so I figured I better get some yard work done before ALL of the dust is off of the whip; I know my limits and I am right there....

I have not been out in a few weeks and with me being shore bound I could use the crazy action a Bluefish gives you.

I believe low tide is around 11:00pm which should give me enough time to get there if I leave by 2:00pm (TRAFFIC!!!)

Does anyone know where I can get a CoE map of the canal? I was in a local tackle shop and wanted the map but the owner said that this map is not available anymore (btw this person was extremely helpful!) (No Monty it wasnt Red Top that hooked me up). I would like to the associate the pole markers on the map with a street map for easier access; plus I think the map is WAY cool!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:38 PM

I think you can download the map here

http://www.capecodtackle.com/links.shtml