Forum Navigation

Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Maiden Tuna Voyage

I headed out today for my first attempt at chasing tuna. This board has been a huge help getting me started, especially the people that responded to my "rookie tuna questions" thread. E-sea-E had a lot of good advice as well as a good deal on a used rod. And the fellow at first light (sorry I forgot your name) was very generous with his time as he helped me pick lures, and fine tune my gear and plans! Thanks!

As for the trip, my buddy and I left the mouth of the Merrimac in the dark and got to halibut point for first light. Between 7 and 7:30 about 2 miles NE of halibut point we found a few pods working the surface. Boy were we pumped just to see fish on our first trip out. They didn't seem to be feeding very aggressive and every time we tried to get close to them they would disappear, but boy was my heart ponding every time I tossed that yozuri to the spot I last saw a fish! No love though.

After some time without seeing fish we worked our way around cape Anne and ended up 3 miles or so off thatchers. Nothing going on there. We started working our way back north and bumped into one more pod that where just feeding briefly. They where much smaller than the first ones we saw. This time we where 4-5 miles off plum island wildlife refuge beach, about 8 miles from the mouth. Still no connections.

So no sushi, but what a great day to be on the water. I learned a bunch and my confidence is high, and I'm becoming totally obsessed! I'm going to try and get some trolling gear together to give me something to do when we aren't seeing them on the surface. Unfortunately it looks like we have some weather coming in so I'm not sure when I'll get out again.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks for sharing your report. Keep at it; you'll get one. And then you'll be ruined for life.

L
Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Ruined for life

Yup I agree. I got my first SBFT last year. Just 1. It was a spectacular late September day on the SWC. I still go back to my happy place regularly in my mind. Forget it...you're already ruined. WELCOME!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 PM
tunaman

its a sickness that you can't get it out of your system anyone who's gone with me gets hooked it is a blast though go get them hope you get one this year
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Sponsor

HA HA HA... Welcome to the soon to be unemployed, divorced, no money, no sleep, live on coffee, driving down the street looking at the water wondering where they are CLUB........
Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 AM

I contracted the illness 2 years ago, and my wife mistakenly thought that this year when I caught one in mid-june that my disease would be cured for the season....little did she know that that trip was the first of roughly 15 that I would make..up at 3am, home at 1pm....and completely exhausted. Good luck. Stick with it.....if you dare.