Forum Navigation

Search

Old 08-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Gaspe Atlantic Salmon Report

Greetings from the Gaspe Peninsula again. The Atlantic Salmon runs this season are very good. Most rivers are having record breaking runs, including mine, which is the Matane River. We have over 2500 fish that have returned from the sea in our river this season making for excellent Atlantic Salmon fishing.

An adult salmon is around 10 pounds, although we do have fish in the river of 40 to 50 pounds. A big fish is anywhere from 18 pounds and up. These fish take wet flies and dry flies.

There are at least 10 great Atlantic Salmon rivers on the Gaspe. The York, the Dartmouth, the Bonaventure, the Matapedia, the St Anne, the St Jean, and the Matane are just a few. You can look them all up on line. Some require the simple purchase of a daily permit, while others require work on a lottery system. Some have public access "beats" as well as lottery beats, which give you more privacy. All is quite easy to investigate.

I have been fishing for these fish for many years along with Stripers, Tuna, and Trout. They fit right into the mix, as they are most active during the summer months. It does takes a big commitment to fish for these fish.......and this is as it should be for this fish is one of the best sporting quarries of all. Hook one and you will be hooked for life. They don't call it the "Leaper" for nothing.

Howie
Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Excellent

Thanks Howie - this is one of my "must fish" spots. Any pictures?
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 AM

Nice report

Fished the Matapedia in July for 2 days on a day pass and the Restigouche at Red Pine for a week. What an experience. Here is a pic of a 17lber that i took spey fishing on the Restigouche on a Silver rat. It jumped 5 times with one jump around 6ft clear out of the water...they are incredible fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atlantic5.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	897.8 KB
ID:	12871  
Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Tre Magnifique!

Great picture, and it sounds like an incredible trip.
Publisher
Reel-Time.com
Read my blog at AllThingsCahill.com
1 2 3 4 5 6
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 AM

Matapedia

Here is a pic of a 15lber my buddy caught spey fishing on the Matapedia. This was his second fish of the same size before 9am that day. Not everyday is like that but this was in public water in Sector 1. Not bad for $70 USD a day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00498.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	980.7 KB
ID:	12872  
Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Veteran Reel-Timer

Great pics! The Matapedia is an excellent river with miles of productive "daily access water". The Matapedia is best known for big water and big fish. Many 30 pounders are registered each year. The "Glenn-Emma" stretch, which is reserved water, is perhaps the most famous water in all of the Gaspe. I have not fished the Matapedia this year but know it quite well.

Great job! Was this your first trip for Salmon on the Gaspesie? If so, I am sure you and your friend were in shock when suddenly the line tightened.

Howie